UVB light too long/close?

clyde612

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Hi there,

I recently read about how the UVB light is not supposed to extend the entire length of the tank or be too close to your dragon (or maybe just their basking spot). Anyways, I am more confused now that I was before.

I am wondering if my UVB is too close to my beardie, and if it is bad that it runs the entire length of the tank. It's outside the tank above mesh, but I don't know if the mesh is fine enough to be filtering out 30% of the UVB rays (it might still be full strength). I'll attach photos of the mesh too.

I just want to make sure the light won't be damaging his eyes or anything else. It is a T5 ReptiSun, the fixture is reflective and just barely longer than 36 inches (length of enclosure). I've had the bulb for under 5 months.

top view, UVB is long fixture in back:
full

i know its cluttered, he is still little and loves to climb, will be more spacious as he gets bigger:
full

full

mesh:
full

is this too close?
full

He basks mostly on the big red rock in the very front left of the enclosure.

Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong, thank you!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That setup should be just fine. You have areas to climb that allow close access to the bulb if desired. You also have it set toward the back, which will create a nice gradient toward the front of the enclosure. Plenty of shade areas too. I like it =)

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom