Mirrored Reflector Behind UVB

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I was setting here thinking of ways to improve UVB strength or back it down a bit. When the thought crossed my mind about using small mirrored tile squares as a reflector. Would it defuse or increase UVB output or would it make no difference????
These things constantly run through my head, LOL!!!

Any Thoughts?

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
If you've got a Solarmeter or other way to measure the difference, run the experiment!
I've got one of the bad reflectors. I tried messing with aluminum foil in a few ways, but no improvement.

Brandon's doing an experiment with aluminum tape applied to the bad reflectors. If it succeeds, I'll probably try that. I spoze I could jury-rig a couple of angled long skinny mirrors along the sides of the fixture, calculating the angle via vector diagram... :dontknow:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MrSpectrum":2ht56hqi said:
If you've got a Solarmeter or other way to measure the difference, run the experiment!
I've got one of the bad reflectors. I tried messing with aluminum foil in a few ways, but no improvement.

Brandon's doing an experiment with aluminum tape applied to the bad reflectors. If it succeeds, I'll probably try that. I spoze I could jury-rig a couple of angled long skinny mirrors along the sides of the fixture, calculating the angle via vector diagram... :dontknow:

When slip on reflectors designed to do the job are so cheap and easily available off the shelf by mail-order , why bother mucking about ?

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
kingofnobbys":45kyfn7n said:
When slip on reflectors designed to do the job are so cheap and easily available off the shelf by mail-order , why bother mucking about ?
Three reasons (OTTOMH):
  • 1. Already spent the money on one that was supposed to do the job, and it isn't.
    Hate throwing good money after bad.

2. Like this bad one, most are (ostensibly) fine at reflecting white light for plants;
    haven't seen one yet specifically for UV that will fit the Sunblaster fixture I already have.

3. Sometimes I like mucking about. :roll: Have since I was knee-high to a lizard. :D
    Does that make me a "mucker"? :lol:

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
MrSpectrum":3re1irvq said:
kingofnobbys":3re1irvq said:
Three reasons (OTTOMH):
  • 1. Already spent the money on one that was supposed to do the job, and it isn't.

2. Like this bad one, most are (ostensibly) fine at reflecting white light for plants;
    haven't seen one yet specifically for UV that will fit the Sunblaster fixture I already have.

3. Sometimes I like mucking about. :roll: Have since I was knee-high to a lizard. :D

Mucker? You kill me!! LMAO!?
-Dee

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":2ss5oxp8 said:
kingofnobbys":2ss5oxp8 said:
Three reasons (OTTOMH):

If the shoe fits?!?!????

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Mill grade aluminium sheet and foil has a reflectivity about 50% in the UV , then bend to shape and slip in place.
ref https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/jres/4/jresv4n2p189_A2b.pdf

Better off getting a sheet of thin aluminium sheet and giving it a buff on one side .
Highly polished ( ie cerium powder polished ) aluminium is very good , reflecting 92% of UV.

polish-metals-UV-reflectivity2.png

ref Private communications with Newport Glass Works ( Optical Div ).

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
kingofnobbys":3hoi2zsz said:
Mill grade aluminium sheet and foil has a reflectivity about 50% in the UV
Not what I'm seeing at all with my own personal tests. I'm getting near 100% increase with standard aluminum foil.
But then again, the source you posted for that is from 1929. So many variables could have changed since then. Measuring equipment, aluminum foil as a whole, etc.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
claudiusx":1h84p1ps said:
kingofnobbys":1h84p1ps said:
Mill grade aluminium sheet and foil has a reflectivity about 50% in the UV
Not what I'm seeing at all with my own personal tests. I'm getting near 100% increase with standard aluminum foil.
But then again, the source you posted for that is from 1929. So many variables could have changed since then. Measuring equipment, aluminum foil as a whole, etc.

-Brandon
The low reflectivity is not from POLISHED aluminium , it's from mill grade surface.

The geometric profile if the reflector is also important, shaped to a parabolic profile with the focus at the source will concentrate the UV where you want it.
More info here : http://scipp.ucsc.edu/~haber/ph5B/parabolic09.pdf compares the properties of spherical and parabolic mirror profiles .

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
kingofnobbys":1r7uf18e said:
Better off getting a sheet of thin aluminium sheet and giving it a buff on one side .
Well aluminum foil isnt milled, it is rolled.
I only bring it up because you made it sound like you shouldn't use foil, that you should buy a sheet of milled aluminum and polish it yourself.

And all I'm saying is that is unnecessary as the aluminum foil you likely have in your cabinets will do just as well without needing to be buffed or polished.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
claudiusx":vw6n6lk2 said:
kingofnobbys":vw6n6lk2 said:
Well aluminum foil isnt milled, it is rolled.
I only bring it up because you made it sound like you shouldn't use foil, that you should buy a sheet of milled aluminum and polish it yourself.

And all I'm saying is that is unnecessary as the aluminum foil you likely have in your cabinets will do just as well without needing to be buffed or polished.

-Brandon

Mill finish is the result. Mill finish is the surface texture (or finish) of metal after it exits a rolling mill, extrusion die, or drawing processes, including foil, sheet, bar, plate, or structural shapes. This texture is usually rough and lacks lustre; it may have spots of oxidation or contamination with mill oil.
The oil is washed off in the rinse phase prior to drying and transfer to the tube.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom