Mirrored Reflector Behind UVB

This forum is for advanced discussions on Lighting and Enclosures. Advanced discussions are those that are not necessarily for the general hobbyist, contains practices that should not be applied by those lacking experience, or may be for theoretical discussions that we do not want to have confused with recommended care.

Mirrored Reflector Behind UVB

Postby Gormagon » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:01 am

I was setting here thinking of ways to improve UVB strength or back it down a bit. When the thought crossed my mind about using small mirrored tile squares as a reflector. Would it defuse or increase UVB output or would it make no difference????
These things constantly run through my head, LOL!!!

Any Thoughts?
The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
RIP Peaches 10-1-18 Forever in my Heart
Gormagon
Extreme Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Mirrored Reflector Behind UVB

Postby MrSpectrum » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:14 am

If you've got a Solarmeter or other way to measure the difference, run the experiment!
I've got one of the bad reflectors. I tried messing with aluminum foil in a few ways, but no improvement.

Brandon's doing an experiment with aluminum tape applied to the bad reflectors. If it succeeds, I'll probably try that. I spoze I could jury-rig a couple of angled long skinny mirrors along the sides of the fixture, calculating the angle via vector diagram... :dontknow:
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:38 am

wont be as effective as shaped ( parabolic ) reflector , and the roughness will have an impact.
Many ceramic glazes absorb UV too.
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : , Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Gutzy (F) rescued 27Sep19 - RIP 3Aug20 (est 12 yo), Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby MrSpectrum » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:59 am

kingofnobbys wrote:Many ceramic glases absorb UV too.

Good point. Slipped my mind/brain fart.
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby Gormagon » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:44 am

Question answered..... I think, Hmmmmm!!!
The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
Gormagon
Extreme Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:42 pm

MrSpectrum wrote:If you've got a Solarmeter or other way to measure the difference, run the experiment!
I've got one of the bad reflectors. I tried messing with aluminum foil in a few ways, but no improvement.

Brandon's doing an experiment with aluminum tape applied to the bad reflectors. If it succeeds, I'll probably try that. I spoze I could jury-rig a couple of angled long skinny mirrors along the sides of the fixture, calculating the angle via vector diagram... :dontknow:

When slip on reflectors designed to do the job are so cheap and easily available off the shelf by mail-order , why bother mucking about ?
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EWSs : , Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Gutzy (F) rescued 27Sep19 - RIP 3Aug20 (est 12 yo), Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby MrSpectrum » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:12 am

kingofnobbys wrote:When slip on reflectors designed to do the job are so cheap and easily available off the shelf by mail-order , why bother mucking about ?

Three reasons (OTTOMH):
    1. Already spent the money on one that was supposed to do the job, and it isn't.
    Hate throwing good money after bad.

2. Like this bad one, most are (ostensibly) fine at reflecting white light for plants;
    haven't seen one yet specifically for UV that will fit the Sunblaster fixture I already have.

3. Sometimes I like mucking about. :roll: Have since I was knee-high to a lizard. :D
    Does that make me a "mucker"? :lol:
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby DragonPete » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:29 am

MrSpectrum wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:When slip on reflectors designed to do the job are so cheap and easily available off the shelf by mail-order , why bother mucking about ?

Three reasons (OTTOMH):
    1. Already spent the money on one that was supposed to do the job, and it isn't.

2. Like this bad one, most are (ostensibly) fine at reflecting white light for plants;
    haven't seen one yet specifically for UV that will fit the Sunblaster fixture I already have.

3. Sometimes I like mucking about. :roll: Have since I was knee-high to a lizard. :D

Mucker? You kill me!! LMAO!😂
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby Gormagon » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:19 am

MrSpectrum wrote:

Three reasons (OTTOMH):

If the shoe fits?!?!😎😎😎😎
Gormagon
Extreme Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:39 am

Mill grade aluminium sheet and foil has a reflectivity about 50% in the UV , then bend to shape and slip in place.
ref https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/jres/ ... 89_A2b.pdf

Better off getting a sheet of thin aluminium sheet and giving it a buff on one side .
Highly polished ( ie cerium powder polished ) aluminium is very good , reflecting 92% of UV.

ref Private communications with Newport Glass Works ( Optical Div ).
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby Claudiusx » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:48 am

kingofnobbys wrote:Mill grade aluminium sheet and foil has a reflectivity about 50% in the UV

Not what I'm seeing at all with my own personal tests. I'm getting near 100% increase with standard aluminum foil.
But then again, the source you posted for that is from 1929. So many variables could have changed since then. Measuring equipment, aluminum foil as a whole, etc.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:53 am

claudiusx wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:Mill grade aluminium sheet and foil has a reflectivity about 50% in the UV

Not what I'm seeing at all with my own personal tests. I'm getting near 100% increase with standard aluminum foil.
But then again, the source you posted for that is from 1929. So many variables could have changed since then. Measuring equipment, aluminum foil as a whole, etc.

-Brandon

The low reflectivity is not from POLISHED aluminium , it's from mill grade surface.

The geometric profile if the reflector is also important, shaped to a parabolic profile with the focus at the source will concentrate the UV where you want it.
More info here : http://scipp.ucsc.edu/~haber/ph5B/parabolic09.pdf compares the properties of spherical and parabolic mirror profiles .
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby Claudiusx » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:00 am

kingofnobbys wrote:Better off getting a sheet of thin aluminium sheet and giving it a buff on one side .

Well aluminum foil isnt milled, it is rolled.
I only bring it up because you made it sound like you shouldn't use foil, that you should buy a sheet of milled aluminum and polish it yourself.

And all I'm saying is that is unnecessary as the aluminum foil you likely have in your cabinets will do just as well without needing to be buffed or polished.

-Brandon
Claudiusx

Postby Claudiusx » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:03 am

Agreed, shape of reflector plays a big role. But wasnt what I was bringing up.

-Brandon
Claudiusx

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:05 am

claudiusx wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:Better off getting a sheet of thin aluminium sheet and giving it a buff on one side .

Well aluminum foil isnt milled, it is rolled.
I only bring it up because you made it sound like you shouldn't use foil, that you should buy a sheet of milled aluminum and polish it yourself.

And all I'm saying is that is unnecessary as the aluminum foil you likely have in your cabinets will do just as well without needing to be buffed or polished.

-Brandon

Mill finish is the result. Mill finish is the surface texture (or finish) of metal after it exits a rolling mill, extrusion die, or drawing processes, including foil, sheet, bar, plate, or structural shapes. This texture is usually rough and lacks lustre; it may have spots of oxidation or contamination with mill oil.
The oil is washed off in the rinse phase prior to drying and transfer to the tube.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Next

Return to Lighting/Enclosures