Full spectrum lighting source - Waveformlighting

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So I spent a little time trying to find a company who actually tries to make full spectrum bulbs in the sense of what we want, mimicked spectra of the sun.

Think I found it.

7001-photometrics.jpg

https://store.waveformlighting.com/products/absolute-series-99-cri-led-linear-module

Seems like red is really hard to get, but this one gets a lot more red than others, and is generally a much closer match to the sun than others.

What's Different With ABSOLUTE™?
Traditional white LEDs use 455 nanometer blue die as the underlying light source, and a dual-phosphor mix of green and red phosphors to achieve a semi-full spectrum light output.

This results in what is commonly referred to as the "cyan gap" - where there is a lack of light energy in the region between blue and green wavelengths, and an overshoot of blue wavelength energy. A close look at color rendering scores such as CRI R12 will also reveal that blue colors may appear over or under-saturated.

ABSOLUTE SERIES™ LEDs utilize a different method of producing white light to eliminate the cyan gap and blue overshoot. By shifting the underlying light source wavelength to a violet 420 nm die, a fuller, wider spectrum is made possible. This also provides energy coverage down to the nUV wavelength range.
ABSOLUTE-GRAPHIC-COMPARISON.jpg

Cool stuff. Except this is probably a separate topic so I'm going to start it's own thread on this so it's easier to find.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
I will note that 99 CRI, or the CRI scale in general probably doesn't hold much merit in regards to what dragons perceive light as. But what is important is the spectra analysis, as it's the closest spectra output i've found so far to sunlight.

They also have other products on their site that come close too.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
What's interesting is they also have options to buy just colored LEDs. You'd think a simple solution would be to just add a red LED array to your full spectrum light array to fill the missing 700- spectra.
But, even that only peaks at 630nm

They offer an IR LED also, but it's spectra is 840-870, with a peak at 850.

Sorry I'm excited by this company. Nerding out a little.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
claudiusx":36za3g4f said:
Seems like red is really hard to get
Do you think that's because it gets close to--or they're trying to avoid--the IR spectum?
(Yes, I read your comments about the separate IR bulb)

Any feel for how much these fancy bulbs are going to set us back? :)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Yeah it probably is to do with that. I don't know for sure but that would be my guess too. Either that or it's just simply too difficult or to expensive to get the right phosphor or whatever they use to emit that wavelength.

-Brandon

Figured I'd poke this forum a little. The more and more I look, the 700-800 range is always lack luster to fill- makes me wonder what element the Sun has that we can't contain in our bulbs- at least for elementally composed bulbs compared to LEDs. LEDs are definitely capable of a lot, but they're, obviously, running into the same issue.

Something I noticed is that 700-800 probably isn't much of a concern for most companies since they're focused on making it look red instead of being 100% red- using blue as filler for increasing the brightness and what-not.

The elements I noticed was Oxygen and Nitrogen, at least elements in the Sun, that manages to fill in red a bit. Obviously there are other trace elements that most likely give off red too, such as Iron at certain isotopes.

I've got to say that Waveformlighting is absolutely doing a great job.

(Pfft- You've got me nerding out a little, but I'm looking at elements and gonna see what-kind of research I can find where people tried to produce 'redder' lights.) :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom