Physics of why to use metallic (surface) reflectors for UV

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Reflective in visible light doesn't infer reflective in UVA and UVB bands.

Unless the reflector has a polished metal or "vapor deposited" aluminium surface , I'd be reluctant to use it as there is a very good chance the surface of the "painted" / powder coated surface will actually absorb UVA & UVB and perhaps reemit the light in the visible bands thereby defeating the purpose of using a reflector / reflector hood partly or even entirely ( all the UVA & UVB may actually be absorbed and fluoresced as visible light ) , see below for basics :
basics-of-fluorescence-UV-in-visible-glow-out.png

In short - if the reflector is not designed to reflect better than 80% of the UVA & UVB that falls on it's front surface , it's not suitable for use in a reptile enclosure. This means the reflective surfaces are restricted to copper, aluminium, gold or silver.

See this for specular reflectivities of some reflective surfaces :
semilog-graph-of-spectral-reflectivity-of-some-polished-metallic.png

Ref : Evaluation of reflectivity of metal parts
InfraMation 2010 Conference Proceedings p210-p243, Z. Sarosi

Reminder :
UVA, or near UV (wavelengths 315–400 nm)
UVB, or middle UV (wavelengths 280–315 nm)

This is why I'd be looking for a polished aluminium reflector or a vacuum aluminized surface on the reflector.
The substrate behind the reflective surface is irrelevant ( it only forms the focusing shape and holds the reflective surface in place ).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Interesting note :

There is an paint that is highly reflective in the range 300 - 400 nm designed to hide aircraft and vehicles and artillery in snow country .
It's general composition is :
essentially of 40 parts by weight of calcium carbonate,
l0 parts by weight of highly viscous chlorinated rubber,
6 parts by weight of chlorinated diphenyl,
and 44 parts by weight of xylene.

Ref United States Patent O 3 300,325
CAMOUFLAGE PAINT REFLECTING ULTRAVIOLET LIGHT FOR USE IN SNOWY COUNTRY Filed April 1, 1965

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom