Zilla T8 50UVB

I looked to see if anyone has discussed this exact fixture, but haven't seen anything.

Basically I've seen a ton of different information regarding UVB and a ton of people either saying one is a best then other people saying that same one is dangerous, so I'm not so sure what to think anymore.

I have the Zoomed terrarium hood with a Reptisun compact T5 10.0 and I also have a Zilla T8 50UVB (with the plastic shield removed), I'm obviously only going to use one.

Which is better? The compact one that only covers a portion of his enclosure? I've also read a lot about the compact ones being dangerous for their eyes, but these seem to be old posts and this problem has been resolved, is this true? Or should I use the Linear bulb that covers almost his whole enclosure?

The bulb will be going on a 20gal enclosure for a 3month bearded dragon, and will be about 8 inches above his basking spot, above the mesh.

Any thoughts help - just want to set up the correct lighting. Thanks!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So is your zilla a t8 bulb or a compact coil? T8s are long fluorescent tubes just like the t5s?

What is the dimensions of your tank and the distance from the uvb to the basking surface? Those questions are what answers which uvb you should use.

The cfls causing eye issues have been resolved for the most part, but most cfls are still pretty weak bulbs which require the basking surface to be fairly close to the bulb for proper uvb exposure. Some are stronger but still they present the problem of only being suitable at the basking area as they cant really create a good uv gradient like the tubes can.

So to answer your question, the term better just depends on your situation. And that's largely affected by the two questions I asked up above :)

-Brandon

matthewd73

Original Poster
The Zilla T8 is an 18" linear tube.

The Zoomed T5 is a compact coil.

The enclosure is a 20gal 30x12x12, so on his basking perch the tube will be about 7 inches away, otherwise it will be 12 inches away most other places in the enclosure.

This is for a baby bearded dragon, when he gets a bit bigger, will definitely be buying a larger enclosure.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm confused. A t5 isnt a compact coil bulb. T5, T8, T12, these are all sizes of long florescent tubes.

Could you post a picture of the boxes of the two lights you have? Or link to them online?

-Brandon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have the Zilla Slimline and the Desert 50 bulb that comes with it. I've tested it out and it works best at around 6-8'' with output dropping quite a lot beyond that. It's best suited for smaller enclosures (20g, 20g long etc). I have the same questions as Brandon regarding your other bulb though. Is it this one? https://zoomed.com/reptisun-10-0-compact-fluorescent/ Those have about the same effective range as a T8 but don't provide as wide of a spread of UVB so I prefer the T8.

matthewd73

Original Poster
I'm sorry I was trying to post from memory and got the labels mixed up - partially because I didn't fully understand the difference between T5 and T8 until looking it up right now.

So I have this fixture/bulb:
https://www.amazon.com/Inch-Zilla-Slimline-UVB-Desert/dp/B0006L10NY

(note: the plastic cover is removed)

And this bulb:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00061V53Y/ref=twister_B015OS2WSK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
with this hood:
https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Naturalistic-Terrarium-12-Inch/dp/B001HW7ZS0/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=zoomed+hood&qid=1565641084&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-1

sounds like the Zilla is good to use for covering more of the enclosure, I've just some negative things about it, but it also sounds like those were for older versions that were recalled, and the modern ones are okay to use.

Thanks everyone who has helped so far

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
In your case I'd go with the zilla. It's not the bulb we typically recommend as most of us like the quality of the reptisun and arcadias. But if I had to pick between the two for my own dragons, it would be the zilla tube. In a couple months when it comes time to replace the bulb you can always switch to the reptisun bulb. It will work in that fixture too.

-Brandon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They're probably pretty similar in output, but I'd probably go with the T8 as well. If you need to reach further than 8'' then you'll want a T5 tube, but if 6-8'' is where your basking area is then the T8 should be OK.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I'd be very reluctant to use ZILLA UV sources of any type. Zilla is a cloner based in China and will not be using top quality phosphors, perfect quartz in the globes or tubes, and will not have the quality control inherent in brands like Zoo Med , Arcadia Reptile and Exo Terra.

A T8 50UVB ( 5% UVB ) tube will not be strong enough unless you have a very small tank (under 12" tall).

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
kingofnobbys":253hl7nq said:
Zilla is a cloner based in China and will not be using top quality phosphors, perfect quartz in the globes or tubes

Source? Or assumption?

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
claudiusx":17875wdz said:
kingofnobbys":17875wdz said:
Zilla is a cloner based in China and will not be using top quality phosphors, perfect quartz in the globes or tubes

Source? Or assumption?

-Brandon

Since you ask, and you could have easily checked this , ref to their URL and company data , and product manual https://www.zillarules.com/retailers . Only products there in marked with "MADE IN USA" are foods and suppliments. There is no mention what so ever of inhouse research and manufacturing of UV sources (local (conUSA based) or otherwise).
There is a reason why their UV sources are cheaper than those baring the brand of Exo Terra, Zoo Med and Arcadia Reptile, this is their source and cheaper materials and no manufacturing or development of their own.
That is they simply rebrand cheap cloned imports and they are simply the brand tied to a petchain , similar to Reptile One here.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, but being made in China doesnt inherently make it subpar material. Most everything (at least available in the us, not sure about au) comes from China.
Not all things made in china are bad. Not all things made in the us are good.

I was more referring to your statement that they dont use "top quality phosphorus" and that they dont use "perfect quartz"
But since you say there is no mention of those things, I ask again, do you have a source for your statement or is your statement simply your assumption based on your thought that it being made in china instantly means it's made of poor material?

The zilla brands have been tested by many, and they do put out decent uvi.

Additionally, I personally know 2 breeders (large scale breeders) who use zilla tubes. I also know of others, just not personally.

No need to spread false statements (or unverifiable statements) simply because you believe there are better options out there.

I do agree though, I like the quality and outputs of the reptisun and Arcadia brands better. That doesnt mean though that the zilla brand isnt acceptable.

-Brandon

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom