T5 hood and LED?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieLover232

Hatchling Member
So, basically I went to Pet Smart recently to look for any T5 hoods, for a 24 inch 10.0 UVB for Squishy. (i have a 5.0 bulb and hood, but i am going to upgrade for squishy and give the 5.0 for Pebbles). anyways, while looking: i notice there was one for the T8, but nothing at all for the T5. i ask if they have any in the back, and they said no. apparently, everyone is switching to LEDs and it is like $200 for the hood and the light. one of the employees was saying about the compact bulbs and how they are used more then the UVB. he even told me that the compact bulb that they use for their reptile it has been used for 2 or 3 years and it is still working. i gave him the "really" face. just because it is glowing, it doesn't mean it is still producing UVB. it is now just a light.
what is the whole LED thing about. i am seeing them everywhere. they are so expensive.. :eek:
it is very strange, and pricy. i am not understanding the difference between Fluorescent and LED. :/
thanks. :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've seen them but haven't tested them. I'm not convinced that LEDs provide the proper spread of UV for a dragon's needs. Might be good for an aquarium. Especially given the cost, I'd stick with the tried and true T5 lights for now. I've tested a bunch of those and they produce excellent UVB for a long time. As of now, I think the future is in metal halide lighting but that still isn't perfected yet.

BeardieLover232

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":3u86aps4 said:
I've seen them but haven't tested them. I'm not convinced that LEDs provide the proper spread of UV for a dragon's needs. Might be good for an aquarium. Especially given the cost, I'd stick with the tried and true T5 lights for now. I've tested a bunch of those and they produce excellent UVB for a long time. As of now, I think the future is in metal halide lighting but that still isn't perfected yet.
I am seeing them everywhere, if you go on google and search UVB for reptiles, or zoomed UVB. there is going to be a results in the LED, with a UVB with it. it is so weird! :I

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I have not read anything that led lights put out uvb. I believe that they do enhance the brightness in the viv, therefore enhancing activity levels overall. Are they necessary? No, but I think they provide good uva ...... I could be wrong!
Just stick with the Reptisun 10.0 T5 until they come out with something better, that's what I'm going to do.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The ones I'm seeing online look like a combo using LED for ambient light and a T5 for UVB. My question about that is why combine them into all in one? I'd rather use as small a fixture as possible for the UVB lighting and then use separate fixtures for heat and ambient lighting but that's my preference. It looks like the real question is how does the output from the LEDs stack up against 6400k T5 tubes in terms of brightness and spectrum.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
CooperDragon":f5ir68qf said:
The ones I'm seeing online look like a combo using LED for ambient light and a T5 for UVB. My question about that is why combine them into all in one? I'd rather use as small a fixture as possible for the UVB lighting and then use separate fixtures for heat and ambient lighting but that's my preference. It looks like the real question is how does the output from the LEDs stack up against 6400k T5 tubes in terms of brightness and spectrum.

The fixtures are combo units with a LED array and a T5 tube. Quality depends on the LEDS. CREE for example makes some pretty nice full spectrum lights and having them in the same hood would presumably have less spotlight" effect that multiple fixtures might give. Flourecents will always have "spikes" in the spectrum that may or may not align with reptile vision. LEDs have advantage of efficiency though.

There are no UVB emitting LEDS that are considered safe and reliable for reptiles/pets yet.

Only UVB emitting lamps and some metal halide lamps emit much of any useful UVA.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Eyes respond to relatively small "peaks" of colors. When all are activated we see white. Same with reptiles but they have different wavelengths for the peaks. white to us from artificial light isn't the same to them necissarily. The assumption with lights is the more sunlike the spectrum the more white it will be for everyone.
human_vision_vs_reptile_vision.jpg

spectral_responses2.png

Some LEDs also have more spikey graphs, it all depends on HOW the light is being made and if any chemicals are being used.
delta-comp960.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abby999
Top Bottom