UV and beardies (in wild)

This forum is for advanced discussions on Lighting and Enclosures. Advanced discussions are those that are not necessarily for the general hobbyist, contains practices that should not be applied by those lacking experience, or may be for theoretical discussions that we do not want to have confused with recommended care.

UV and beardies (in wild)

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:53 am

[TOPIC AUTO-LOCKED DUE TO INACTIVITY]

This is a useful chart to use as a guide to providing adequate UV for you pet beardie .

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/uvinnature.htm

Note : for those who do not know what the range of central bearded dragons are , Alice Springs is part of their natural range and this area is known for extreme UV IN SUMMER , and very long periods of drought that regularly last several years , even over a decade is common. See http://pogopogona.com/bearded-dragon-fa ... -come-from , and see
http://bamboozoo.weebly.com/art-bearded ... nment.html for climate in their natural range.

Hope I have helped by providing the above.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : new rescues Cheakie (subadult M) Nov 2019, Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: UV and beardies (in wild)

Postby AHBD » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:36 am

Yes, this is very interesting and very in depth info about uvb requirements + benefits. I've used both MVB bulbs as well as flourescent tube for uvb and I find that as long as it's not too hot [ placement + distance are important ] then my dragons do hang out under the MVB. I've also kept beardies outside in open top as well as screened enclosures. Their colors really pop when exposed to natural sunlight, and even an hour a day makes a huge difference.

Thanks for the info, great stuff. :)
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby CooperDragon » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:41 am

Thanks for sharing! To add to this, here are some UVI readings (average over several days) I took in the hills around Adelaide last November. It gives a rough idea of exposure in late spring in the southern region of their habitat. The morning and late afternoon basking habits are what lead me to believe a good "average" basking area should be in the 3-6 UVI range, given a proper gradient across the tank of course.

[Click image to enlarge]
CooperDragon

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:08 am

CooperDragon wrote:Thanks for sharing! To add to this, here are some UVI readings (average over several days) I took in the hills around Adelaide last November. It gives a rough idea of exposure in late spring in the southern region of their habitat. The morning and late afternoon basking habits are what lead me to believe a good "average" basking area should be in the 3-6 UVI range, given a proper gradient across the tank of course.

[Click image to enlarge]
Thanking you - interesting and useful.

BTW for those who don't know the connection between UVI and W/m^2 flux :
Convert UVI to W/m² Eeff by dividing by 40.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EWSs : new rescues Cheakie (subadult M) Nov 2019, Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:08 am

Adding some more info I gathered recently. I wasn't able to gather as much data as I hoped to (I kept forgetting the Solarmeter in my camera bag) and I was outside of the natural range of central dragons. I did observe some other reptiles and noticed that in all cases they were hanging out in full or partial shade rather than directly in the sun. Here are the graphs for what they're worth.

Darwin NT 11/12/2019. Noticed a small skink sitting in partial shade at UVI 1.0 at 11:30am.
[Click image to enlarge]

Perth WA & Rottnest Island 11/19/2019. Weather became overcast during the middle of the day causing a reading dip.
[Click image to enlarge]

Brisbane QLD 11/22/2019. Only managed readings during the afternoon. Noted several Eastern Water Dragons basking in partial sunlight (2.3 UVI) at 3pm.
[Click image to enlarge]
CooperDragon

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby claudiusx » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:46 am

Awesome! Thanks for doing that and sharing Liam :D

Interesting the highest reading was past noon.

I'm glad you were able to take measurements from partial shade too. A good lesson on how even when in extremely high uvi out in the open, partial shade can still be decently low.

....you know you're a beardie addict when.....
:laughing6:

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
claudiusx

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:12 pm

I noticed that in my earlier readings from Adelaide too. The highest UVB readings occur around 1pm and drop steadily after about 2 or so. One of these days I'll have the chance to go into central dragon territory and really get some good data. I want to be able to do some observation if I can find them along with getting some readings. Sounds like a full time job to me :lol:
CooperDragon

Postby claudiusx » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:24 pm

A full time job I'd be lining up to do haha. If you need an intern, just shoot me a message lol :D

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
claudiusx

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:29 am

CooperDragon wrote:I noticed that in my earlier readings from Adelaide too. The highest UVB readings occur around 1pm and drop steadily after about 2 or so. One of these days I'll have the chance to go into central dragon territory and really get some good data. I want to be able to do some observation if I can find them along with getting some readings. Sounds like a full time job to me :lol:

Daylight savings in effect in "some" of Australia. This will explain the shift by 1 hour later in these states.
Also sun is not usually directly on "the meridian" at noon. ie at my location today the sun crossed the N-S meridian at 11:42am ( daylight saving time ) , too bad it was impossible to see it.

Likely the lizards you were seeing hanging out in shady spots were actually looking to escape from direct solar heating rather than UV.

To this study correctly should be monitoring UV , temperature (air and ground surface in direct sun and in shade).

So darned smokey and dust-stormy here that it's worthless my making any UV measurements in my location at this time. Been so dark here that we've had to turn the lights on during the day. And visibility has been cut to under 2 km (today) , an improvement on yesterday when I couldn't see stuff only 500m away.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby CooperDragon » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:08 pm

The time zones were very odd there. Having Brisbane and Sydney on different times didn't make much sense at all. Adding a temperature component (surface and ambient) would certainly be beneficial to these tests and it is certainly possible they were seeking cooler temps (in addition to or independently of UV exposure). One of these days I'll return with this being the focus of the trip and try for more thorough data. One takeaway that is solid is that the UV exposure ramps up, peaks, then ramps down. I wish we could do that with our UVB lighting to better mimic this (I've said this in the past too).
CooperDragon

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Lighting/Enclosures