App?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vulcan2016

Hatchling Member
Have you ever thought of making an app for the forum for either apple or android? I for one would love one and would be on the forum more often (internet browsers on phones aren't the greatest especially if you have big fingers) as when i use my phone i constantly press the wrong things when i want to read a post.

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Apps are a lot of work to develop. The 3rd party apps that "offer" to integrate with forums generally strip the content and remove the site's ads and then stick their own in (i.e. stealing the ad revenue from the site). I tried to make the web page more mobile friendly, but obviously not perfect.

vulcan2016

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey it may not be the greatest but it works (Ijust have fat thumbs and tthat'smost of my pproblem lol . But iIuunderstandcompletely iIhave never looked into it my self and did not know the process onvolved

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
I've always wanted to tinker with developing mobile apps, but haven't had the time to. For one, it would involve me having to learn a new programming language (not the end of the world) and the frameworks for mobile apps (especially those that need to hook into forums). Then I'd likely have to develop APIs for the forums on the site, since an app wouldn't work well with having to parse the HTML of the site... better to have structured data interfaces. And finally, develop the app itself. After all that... maintenance (which can sometimes also take a bunch of time). It would be an interesting project, but I'm not sure I have the time to put into it among all my other projects (here and at home).

I appreciate the feedback though. I always want to hear what people would like to see for the site. If they're something I can manage and I agree is a good idea, I try to make it happen. An app is a good idea, but hard to make happen.

Out of curiosity, what specific links/buttons seem to be the most difficult on mobile though the phone? What I COULD possibly do, is see about adjusting the style for the site when displayed on mobile, so certain items are a little bigger and spaced apart. That was part of the original intent for the mobile layout. It USED to be that the full regular site had to be browsed. I've since created styles for the site that adjust depending on screen width for mobiles, tablets, and or course, computers.

vulcan2016

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
When Igo to click on the title of the post to read it most of the time Iwind up pressing the name of the person posting it it'sannoying but tolerable lol

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Ahhh. I see. Probably more an issue with shorter titles too, right? With longer ones you could click on the title a little more to the right and avoid the username, but with shorter ones, there's less of an option. Hmmm. I'll have to think about how I might be able to improve that. If you have the issue, others probably do too.

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
This topic looks like a good example, but I suspect you mean like this...

View media item 29039
where tapping where the red circle is might click the name and not the title, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom