Display issue with posts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nihilist

Hatchling Member
Hope this is the right place to post. Last night the site worked great. Now when I look at a topic the text goes in to the links on the right. Some even disappear because it goes past the comment box. I have tried chrome, firefox and edge and get the same thing with all three browsers.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm seeing some things to that just don't look right. For example, there is no color coding on the "read or unread" posts etc and those particular icons on the left near each post are gone.

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
CooperDragon PM'd me about the same issue. Oddly, I am not seeing this problem in Safari nor Chrome...

However, I just tested it with FireFox, and I AM seeing it with that browser.

I'm quite confused as to why this would have just started. Is today the first day you've seen this? Since I can reproduce it with my FireFox, I should hopefully be able to resolve the problem. I haven't made any changes that should have caused that, so I'll definitely be looking for why this might have happened (possibly some updates to browsers rendering engines). It's odd that you have it with all of the browsers, and I only have it with FireFox.

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
This is really odd. I think that there is a major change in how browsers are handling a table structure and how the "100%" width CSS is being applied. That or something specifically wrong about the forum topic view (more likely). The same table structure is used on the forum topic list and the main index, and I don't think those have any issues. Hmmmm...

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree, it is very odd. Was completely fine for me last night but I noticed the difference the minute I signed on. I'm using Chrome in case you needed to know that. The forum topic list is lacking the same things.

Did you make some sort of change? Now looks back to normal for me and I didn't do anything different.

The icons to the left had been missing on all the topics including "view your posts".

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Ahh! Well, I understand the weirdness, with what I saw vs. what you guys saw. My account was setup to use a test template (identical to what you guys are using) for the forum style. When I used FireFox my login wasn't cached, so it used the default.

When I switched to the regular style, I saw the same issues. I went and compared the style source files, and nothing was significantly different. So, I went to have the forums "refresh" the cache. That didn't quite help. But then I MANUALLY wiped away the cached style/template files. This seems to have fixed the problem for me in all browsers.

How about you all?

I suspect that it was actually something about how I did permissions on some of the directories. I changed how I'm doing file permissions when I moved to the new server (back in mid January), which I could see causing complications if something was created with just the right timing. My guess is, this happened. Blowing away all the cached style files forced the web server to recreate the cache, which would have all the right permissions. Hopefully, permanently so.

So, is it looking better?

Thanks,
-Alex

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Whew. I scared myself for a second. When I clicked the link in the notification email, what loaded showed the problem again. But then I refreshed my page and that was gone. That was probably just some bad caching within my local browser. :) Glad it is better for you guys too.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's odd. The main forum displays normally aside from missing the white shortcut icon to send me to the latest post in a thread. Still seeing the misalignment in safari. There is a text link T at the bottom of each post linking to the top of the thread. I also noticed that in thread view, the links on the right side bar aren't usable. They work in the main forum view though. I have been using mobile (safari, ios) most of the day and haven't noticed anything unusual. I tried reading your response on my macbook but couldn't read it all. Screenshot attached. Please let me know if you'd like me to do any specific tests.

76248-6237743138.jpg

Rampagingraptor

Sub-Adult Member
Thanks, it started working for me the instant I opened up this page! Just a coincidence of timing, though.
Cooper, if you can't read it,
try posting and reading there for now.
Still, very annoying problem.

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Cooper: Try refreshing the page while holding down the SHIFT key. In many browsers, this will force a non-cached refresh of the page.

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Thank you all for letting me know and helping verify the fix. Sometimes, this is what I think of technology... :banghead:

tengu1

Juvie Member
beardie":2jrxweym said:
Cooper: Try refreshing the page while holding down the SHIFT key. In many browsers, this will force a non-cached refresh of the page.

Funny I just started a thread about this and then found this! Holding shift while refresh worked perfectly! PHEW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom