Email Notifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Does anyone receive email notifications of topics that they are subscribed to (had posted to)?
For those of you who do receive emails, do you have the option of clicking on the "View New Post", "View the Topic", "View the Forum", or "Stop Notifications For This Forum" buttons where they'll bring you to this site?

8482-7806784832.jpg
Note how the cursor is not a finger-pointing hand like when it's over the "Home Page" link.

I was just wondering if it was not work on my end only. I had opened the email notifications in both IE8 and Google Chrome, and in different zoom percentages, and got the same results.

Or, those buttons weren't supposed to anything to begin. :?

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Who provides your email service? It's possible that they're stripping some of the styling. Although, those buttons do you normal "link" tags ("A" tags). I don't even explicitly mess with the cursor icon, which in some cases on the website, I do to make something appear to be clickable when not a "real" link tag.

That's odd. Some people only get blank emails. That's frustrating. And I've yet to figure out why.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I have Optimum Online (a Cablevision company).

Here's something else strange that I found between the email itself and its source:

8482-544952206.jpg

8482-9742928310.jpg

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
That doesn't look like you're being shows the source. That looks like you're being given the "text" version of the message (intended mostly for people who do not use HTML emails). The true source would actually show both the HTML and text versions (HTML is usually after the text in the raw source).

So, you check email through a web browser with them?

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Here's a short desktop video that shows what the emails are like through my email program (not a web browser), Mail.app (on Mac).

http://www.beardeddragon.org/images/tmp/Notification_emails.mov

I've tested these with a Gmail account before, though, with Safari, and Chrome. I forget, but I think I checked with with IE as well.

... I just checked with my Gmail. I don't get the little hover motion styling, but I do get the cursor icon changing to the clickable one. And with IE8 on XP (an old install I keep around), it was doing the same as with Safari. So, not quite sure what is going on there.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Maybe Optimum had somehow stripped the functionality of those buttons. Oh well, no big deal for me because I can just sign in here to view the topics. I just wanted to make sure that they were supposed to be active buttons.

Thanks for taking the time to troubleshoot for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom