Newbies Guide What to Buy

DonnaG

I've been clicking through links on that page and many of them lead right to the home page for this site. Some products do link to external pages; but, when the link to a tube shows one length, I click on the link for the corresponding reflector, it takes me to an entirely different length as well as a totally different web site and product.

This web site has been around for a good while and as somebody who is new to bearded dragons, I am trying to learn more and I find it frustrating when links don't show me what anything but the home page. Does anybody know what I might be doing wrong?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble finding what you're looking for. Due to the age of the guides, it looks like some of the links are just outdated and need to be revamped. In the meantime, are there any specific items you're looking for? Perhaps I can help guide you in finding everything you need for your setup.

DonnaG

Original Poster
CooperDragon, Right now, I am looking for UVB lighting to use with the enclosure that we are going to build. I found a 15 watt 12 inch HO bulb; but, no compatible fixture. Paki's (or Pac-man or Packman) new enclosure will measure 4 x 2 x 2 feet. I found the bulb on a site called Pet Mountain. I'd like to get both the light and the fixture from there so that I can get the new customer discount.

If you have different recommendations, I am all ears.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
For a 4x2x2 enclosure that bulb will be too small. I recommend either the 24'' or 36'' T5 for an enclosure of that size. My favorite is the Arcadia. There is an older link on the guide but they are now selling a new kit that comes with a bulb and fixture. The fixture they sell can sit on top of an enclosure or be mounted inside the top - the versatility is nice.
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/arcadia-pro-t5-fixture-12-bulb-22-5-sale/

If you're set on going through Pet Mountain, it looks like they sell ReptiSun bulbs which are also good. A ReptiSun T5 10.0 bulb should do the trick, but go with a longer one than the 12'' as I mentioned. The ReptiSun hood is a good fixture, but it's designed to sit on top of an enclosure and is not straightforward to mount inside. You might be able to rig it with wire or industrial velcro or something like that, but there are no mounting holes or clips on the top of it. It usually ships with the 5.0 bulb which isn't strong enough so you'll need to get the 10.0 bulb and install it instead.
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-high-output-terrarium-hood?variant=40657
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs?variant=40633

Please let me know if this helps or if you have any other questions.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sorry about that. That is my guide, and I made it a very long time ago. It got converted from a forum post into an article for the website.

I'm not sure if I have the access to update the links, but if I can, I will try to get that done tomorrow. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

In the meantime, if you need any specific help on what to buy like Cooper said, we are more than happy to help :)

-Brandon

DonnaG

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2i8ys4bu said:
For a 4x2x2 enclosure that bulb will be too small. I recommend either the 24'' or 36'' T5 for an enclosure of that size. My favorite is the Arcadia. There is an older link on the guide but they are now selling a new kit that comes with a bulb and fixture. The fixture they sell can sit on top of an enclosure or be mounted inside the top - the versatility is nice.
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/arcadia-pro-t5-fixture-12-bulb-22-5-sale/

If you're set on going through Pet Mountain, it looks like they sell ReptiSun bulbs which are also good. A ReptiSun T5 10.0 bulb should do the trick, but go with a longer one than the 12'' as I mentioned. The ReptiSun hood is a good fixture, but it's designed to sit on top of an enclosure and is not straightforward to mount inside. You might be able to rig it with wire or industrial velcro or something like that, but there are no mounting holes or clips on the top of it. It usually ships with the 5.0 bulb which isn't strong enough so you'll need to get the 10.0 bulb and install it instead.
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-high-output-terrarium-hood?variant=40657
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs?variant=40633

Please let me know if this helps or if you have any other questions

The new customer discount that I got was 10%, it was like saving the cost of shipping. The light/hood that you linked to the Light Your Reptiles site may be something that I could consider at some point. The UVB bulb that I'm using right now is from ReptiSun. It seems fine for a 10 gallon tank; but, would be inadequate for the much larger enclosure that we are building.

I do have another question. The basking light that I'm using is the one that came with the kit, I think. Without digging through the kit box for the light bulb box, I can only say that it is 75 watts. My son has a heat sensing gun, that the clinic staff was using to scan people's foreheads last year. It has a laser dot that can be turned on and off. The hammock where Paki spends a lot of his time is below the basking light. The temperature hovers around 89 degrees. From what I have been reading the ideal temperature for a Bearded Dragon is 95-100 or 90-100 degrees. Do you think the light that I have is generating enough heat? Should we look for a ceramic heat emitter to supplement the heat from the bulb; or, should we look for a stronger bulb?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
IR temperature guns are only accurate if they are calibrated to the surface material that they are reading. A forehead scanner is calibrated to read the emissivity of human skin, not much else. It will not be accurate for using to monitor your dragons enclosure temperatures.

You will want to use a digital thermometer with probe end. Luckily they are extremely cheap online, and they are even pretty cheap in person. Any pet store should have some for less than 10 bucks.

-Brandon

DonnaG

Original Poster
Brandon, thanks for the recommendations. I did a web search for digital thermometers with probes and still am not sure what to get. They all seem to have issues with accuracy based upon user reviews. What would you say is the best for accuracy and ease of use?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Refrigerator-Thermometer-Thermostat-Temperature/dp/B073RP1476/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=digital+with+probe+and+thermometer&qid=1624630017&sr=8-16
https://www.amazon.com/Aquaneat-Aquarium-Thermometer-Vivarium-Terrarium/dp/B01N1QQ4EH/ref=sr_1_20?dchild=1&keywords=reptile+thermometer&qid=1624630069&sr=8-20
I have both of those, they both work fine. The second link is more so like what you'll find at petstores for around 10 bucks if you want to go out and buy one today.

Just leave the probe on the surface that you want to measure. Give it 5-10 minutes to settle. They are quite accurate.

-Brandon

DonnaG

Original Poster
Hi Brandon, I got a thermometer from PetSense today. It is the same one that is like the Aquaneat thermometer on Amazon; but, it has the Zilla brand stamped on it. So, I paid considerably more for it by getting it locally. I had the probe laying on the hammock; but, Paki tried to eat it. Maybe he thought it was a cricket. It's the right shape. For now, I have the probe hanging on the inside of the tank. Maybe, after he gets used to it being in the tank, I can move it back to the hammock. Even checking the temperature with the probe, it still doesn't seem high enough. The temperature that the probe picks up is similar to the temperature that the heat sensing gun picks up.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They might try to nibble at it for a bit, especially if they are hungry. But, it only really needs to be there for 5 or 10 minutes then you can remove it. You just want to know what your initial reading is on the surface that is designed to be your basking area.

So, I am not sure how comfortable he is being handled yet, but maybe you can hold him out of the tank for 5 or 10 minutes while you measure the temp. Mine tend to flop their big fat bodies right on top of the probe so it isn't effective anyways lol. Luckily, once you measure it once and get it all set up right, you really don't need to be constantly monitoring it.

But make sure the probe is actually resting on the surface you want to measure.

-Brandon

DonnaG

Original Poster
Brandon, thanks for all your replies. When he was at the shop where I got him, Paki was handled every day. I take him out; but, my son handles him every day. Most days, he takes him out several times a day. Even my oldest son has commented that Paki is the most interesting lizard we've ever had.

I did what you suggested. My son held on to Paki while I checked the temperature. Leaving the probe in long enough helped get a better reading. I think. The temperature is right around 100 degrees: 100.2, 100.6, 99.8. I think the light we are using is good enough for now. It might even work on the bigger enclosure when it's completed.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That should be a good temperature then. I dont know how you're set up, but if you wanted to bump it a few degrees you could just slightly raise the basking area too. But sounds like this is probably a good temp for him.

Just pay attention to how long he is basking. If he's basking all day long, it might not be warm enough for him.

-Brandon

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom