what do i do next

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandstorm10112

i have a bearded dragon i got a couple weeks ago. shes about 7 inches long. i don't know if to feed her live crickets with calcium dust on it or not. she seems fine with just regular meal-worms and crickets that i give her each day. i got her at pet-co and they said to give her dark greens like spinach but as i did more research i found out not to... she has a water and food bowl, basking and hiding areas and plants... and i put a little carpet we bought at pet-co. this is my first time and i'm really exited but i don't want her to be unhealthy or not properly cared for. usually i give her kale, peppers, little carrots, lettuce, and some little pellet stuff for juvenile bearded dragons. she likes to be with us and crawl around us, and the couches sometimes. can someone give me a little help/tips so i can do the best for my dragon? :) thanks.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The dark greens are good for them but I'd steer more toward collard, turnip, dandelion, or mustard greens. I reference this list when I put salads together http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

That said, a young dragon needs mainly bugs/protein to support fast growth. I'd offer a salad daily but don't be surprised if it goes mostly ignored for now. You'll want to provide mainly dusted crickets. For a young dragon offer the crickets twice per day for 10 minutes or so or until he loses interest. Dust with calcium every meal except maybe once a week provide a multivitamin dust instead. Read the directions on the dust supplements though because their frequency suggestions tend to vary by brand/formulation (my suggestion is general so defer to the instructions). I would avoid mealworms as they aren't very nutritious. If you want to offer worms as a treat, I'd go with Phoenix Worms or silk worms instead.

sandstorm10112

Original Poster
We have just been giving her regular crickets and mealworms so I will get the dust soon... Her belly looks more round then usual... Is this normal?
81624-967135388.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, it's common for the young ones to have buddha bellies like that a bit. She'll grow into it soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bert_L
Top Bottom