Discoid Roach Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Is it okay to keep both your breeding AND feeder roaches in the same container as long as they have room?
2. Is it okay to have quite a bit of ventilation (screen top) on your discoid roach container even though they love humidity?
3. Can you still dust your discoids if they are already gut loaded with veggies and fruits and are eating this: https://www.amazon.com/Flukers-High-Calcium-Cricket-11-5-Ounce/dp/B002DWTJBO/ref=sr_1_29?dchild=1&keywords=dubia+roach+food&qid=1616868062&sr=8-29&th=1 ? Also, is that a good food choice?
4. Any tips on how to avoid mites and mold?

I'm hoping to finally get my beardie some roaches after such a long time of convincing my family.:blob5:
The current temp of the cage is 91 degrees with the heat lamp on and humidity usually sits around 40% here even without spraying

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't kept discoids, but have a dubia colony which is fairly similar. I have a mesh top on a 20g long tank for them. The ventilation helps keep things drier and they don't seem to be bothered by lack of humidity. I keep the colony all in one bin and just take out what I need for feeding. I dust the roaches with calcium even though they eat mostly vegetable scraps/leftovers. Removing any food that is being ignored and keeping a bit of airflow (via the mesh top) will help keep mold down. Mites (grain mites in particular) tend to arrive with prepared chow. You can microwave the chow when it arrives to get rid of them. I haven't had any issues with mites since feeding only kitchen scraps though.

Impawsiblesquad

Original Poster
CooperDragon":268plcc2 said:
I haven't kept discoids, but have a dubia colony which is fairly similar. I have a mesh top on a 20g long tank for them. The ventilation helps keep things drier and they don't seem to be bothered by lack of humidity. I keep the colony all in one bin and just take out what I need for feeding. I dust the roaches with calcium even though they eat mostly vegetable scraps/leftovers. Removing any food that is being ignored and keeping a bit of airflow (via the mesh top) will help keep mold down. Mites (grain mites in particular) tend to arrive with prepared chow. You can microwave the chow when it arrives to get rid of them. I haven't had any issues with mites since feeding only kitchen scraps though.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Impawsiblesquad

Original Poster
109531-3691176963.jpg
How does this look? The roaches are coming tomorrow and I'm only getting 20 so I can't mess this up. Should I be concerned about anything in this enclosure? The hottest temp is 92-95 degrees and they have hides on both the cool and hot side. They'll be getting veggies and the Bad Ass Bugs roach and cricket food. They'll have a colony of dermistid larvae and beetles so I won't have to clean their cage often. They will be misted every two days since they like humidity. Is this too often? Should I be worried that the cardboard egg crates will mold? Can the roaches climb the glued corners on the glass tank?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks pretty good from what I can see (the photo is very small). You can try misting them but I would be concerned about causing mold to form. Try it and watch closely. If you see mold then just replace the cardboard with fresh. I also like to keep a housing side with cardboard and a food side so that the moisture from the food doesn't get into the cardboard as easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom