Hornworm housing help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Hey guys I'm gonna take a shot at keeping and maintaining my own supply of hornworms I been unsuccessful in the past but I'm gonna give it a go only problem is that all I can find is their food/paste but no conclusive housing its just "keep them all in a cup" but 25-30 hornworms in 1 tiny cup I find kinda cruel I have found 1inch hornworms 5-6 per cup and over crowded cups and i want them to thrive comfortably and to get them to the right size so I wanna do 2-3 per cup so about 6-8 cups total just having no luck with research and supplies

Any help is appreciated

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've kept them in plastic bins before (I have 1 that is in a cocoon at the moment) and it works OK as long as you keep it clean and provide fresh food for them. They seem to prefer climbing to their food and that does make cleanup easier. If you can find a large plastic bin and attach the plastic ladders that they have in the cups to it then you can make their chow from powder and while it's still liquid have it set in the bottom of the bin. Then invert it and put holes in the top (now on the bottom) for ventilation. Essentially just a larger version of the cups they ship in.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon said:
I've kept them in plastic bins before (I have 1 that is in a cocoon at the moment) and it works OK as long as you keep it clean and provide fresh food for them. They seem to prefer climbing to their food and that does make cleanup easier. If you can find a large plastic bin and attach the plastic ladders that they have in the cups to it then you can make their chow from powder and while it's still liquid have it set in the bottom of the bin. Then invert it and put holes in the top (now on the bottom) for ventilation. Essentially just a larger version of the cups they ship in.[/quote

Ty for the ideas thats what I may do currently i have them upright in their container and my room is a bit hotter so I put them in a cooler room to slow the growth pricess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom