keeping 1/4 in dubia roaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

natnat

I have 1/4 inch dubias to feed my 4 mo old beardie and I haven't been having good luck keeping them alive. I don't want to grow/breed them just store them for a few weeks while I feed them. I have them in a box with egg crates at room temp and I provide a dubia diet with ground oats/wheat and a few veggies. However they don't seem to eat at all. Should I be providing some sort of heat pad?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They do like warmer temps. You could use a heat pad (make sure to allow airflow underneath if you put it on the bottom) or you could use a ceramic heat emitter overhead to provide some heat that way. They should do OK at room temps, but tend to thrive in temps in the 80s and into the 90s a bit. Try offering some pieces of squash or some orange slices and see how those go over. They tend to really like those a lot.

NYBeardie

I've been keeping small batches of dubia for our beardie for months now. For small batches of small roaches, I just kept them in a small tupperware with some egg crate pieces and never lost any. Dax was going through almost 40-50 a day, so they never lasted long. I've since had really good luck with a plastic shoe box from home depot (like $2) and egg crates. I mainly feed them just fresh veggies and fruit changed out every day or other day, depending on what I put in. Carrots, butternut squash, apples, pears, Kale, banana, mango pit (to clean it off). I sometimes supplement with cricket food, but only rarely. I haven't provided any heat with about 70-75 ambient temps at night. With this setup, I can keep hundreds...last 2 purchases were 500 and 700. I recently installed a screen for air circulation and a poly insulating foam strip on the edges to prevent escapes (about $10 for both). Even now I only lose a roach here and there, but it's definitely less than 1 a week. Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom