What do I gut load Dubia with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
My apologies if this has already been answered on this forum- I didn't see it. I also think I asked this question somewhere, and I can't find that- so sorry to those who already helped me.
I received my order of 200 1.25" roaches (they are really really gross, but I suck it up, like I do a lot of gross things bc I love my animals :)

I have these flukes orange cubes, but I don't think those are good.

I know you aren't supposed to feed them anything with much calcium in it.
I also know you aren't really supposed to feed them anything you wouldn't feed the dragon- except oranges every now and then for vitamins.
I also know that you should clean the food out daily
and the last thing I know is not to brush the food with vet/cal.

Thanks so mucH!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The roaches aren't so bad after a while. I think of them as potato/roly poly bugs. I usually feed my colony leftover veges/salads. They love squash and pumpkin and will eat through most greens without complaint. It's probably good to give them a little bit of protein now and then, but I don't really bother. I will put in an occasional slice of bread which they love. Sometimes some grain or oats. Mostly they just eat leftover salads though. Cores of bell pepper after I chop them, ends of carrots and squashes, etc. They aren't too picky.

Faith331

CooperDragon":66npwbm5 said:
The roaches aren't so bad after a while. I think of them as potato/roly poly bugs. I usually feed my colony leftover veges/salads. They love squash and pumpkin and will eat through most greens without complaint. It's probably good to give them a little bit of protein now and then, but I don't really bother. I will put in an occasional slice of bread which they love. Sometimes some grain or oats. Mostly they just eat leftover salads though. Cores of bell pepper after I chop them, ends of carrots and squashes, etc. They aren't too picky.
Protein causes them to create urea which is not great, and they much prefer veggies anyway

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":l3cuo68z said:

FlapJack16":l3cuo68z said:
Very helpful, thank you! Do you have a list of what NOT to feed them?

Was looking through my old posts, and realized how aggressive this question sounded, and I didn't mean it like that at all! Oh no :oops: I feel terrible

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No reason to give it another thought. I usually avoid feeding things I wouldn't feed to my dragon. Kitchen scraps of onion, garlic, things like that don't go to the roaches. Scraps of pepper, squash, greens, etc go right to the roaches after dinner prep.

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":76u55dip said:
No reason to give it another thought. I usually avoid feeding things I wouldn't feed to my dragon. Kitchen scraps of onion, garlic, things like that don't go to the roaches. Scraps of pepper, squash, greens, etc go right to the roaches after dinner prep.

Lucky roaches!
I am rehoming mine to someone else; the colony thing just isn't for me, and the roaches are too big for him to eat now, well past the "in between the eyes" rule, but adult roaches seem to be just fine for other beardies!

Somewhat off- topic, but speaking of, I am wondering if FlapJack isn't a cross breed between a regular beardie and the smaller breed.. he seems small to me, compared to ones I have held, and he is over 16 months old- maybe my memory isn't great on that. He isn't TINY and he definitely has a triangle head instead of the round one on the..Pygmy?.. dragon.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They aren't for everyone. It will be good to find a new spot for them where a lucky dragon can enjoy them. There are plenty of other good feeder options out there.

Some dragons are just smaller than others. Adults can be in a wide range from anywhere between 400-600+g and 17-24'' in length. Genetics certainly plays a role in that, but to what extent in each case, I can't say.

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":3dll5ac3 said:
They aren't for everyone. It will be good to find a new spot for them where a lucky dragon can enjoy them. There are plenty of other good feeder options out there.

Some dragons are just smaller than others. Adults can be in a wide range from anywhere between 400-600+g and 17-24'' in length. Genetics certainly plays a role in that, but to what extent in each case, I can't say.

I hope the other beardie enjoys them plenty :) I will be glad to put them to use.
And I have no issue buying smaller roaches, like medium size @ dubiaroaches.com, and feeding them off- they're still a feeder option for me- just can't do the adult colony thing, long term.
I know it saves on money, and shipping time- but I have tried 2x to keep a large amount of roaches, and didn't work out :lol:
All's well that ends well though, a new beardie gets roaches, and I've figured out what works for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom