Dubia Colony Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munchykin

Hello! I recently bought my first Dubia colony and I have a few questions.
(1) They are being kept at 74-84 right now. I’m aware this isn’t optimal but I don’t have a choice at the moment. They will get a heat pad this weekend. Will this week at living at previous temperatures cause any future problems? It hasn’t gone below 71 at lowest.
(2) At what point, or number of dubias, can I start feeding them off to my beardie? I’ve seen things saying “Wait 6 months at least to a year best” and that seems extreme. I’m not starting off with a small colony. Idk what an average starter is but I have 200+ Babies alone. 12 males to 40 females. Do I simply just need to wait for the babies to grow up some??
(3) I’m currently feeding them Cricket Chow and Cricket Quenchers, is this enough? They do have some veggies in there but not many.

Thank you to anyone who answers my questions!! ❤️

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
1. No, but they won't be breeding at those temps.
2. If you are only feeding for 1, you can start feeding whenever you want to be honest. But, you're going to have to keep an eye on things and make sure you have adults breeding, and that you are leaving babies to grow up into adults to replace the adults that die, or to increase your breeding. The less you mess with them, the quicker they will grow exponentially.
3.Cricket chow is quite high in protein usually. You might want to figure out a food source that is lower in protein. I aim for under 6%. The cricket quenchers are ok, but fruits and veggies are a better source of hydration.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom