Silkworms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlin124

I have a beardie that is about 13 months, but he got tired of crickets so I switched to dubias. However, I am looking for another feeder to give him to change it up, I am wondering if silkworms would be a good one. (Background) He also gets a big salad daily and lives in a large 6ft tank. He is abt 18 in from nose to tip of tail, (tail is 10 in) any help is appreciated?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They definitely are a great feeder to offer. Expensive, but a great feeder.

I buy eggs and hatch them myself, much cheaper that way.

-Brandon

Merlin124

Original Poster
Claudiusx":2zchlicu said:
They definitely are a great feeder to offer. Expensive, but a great feeder.

I buy eggs and hatch them myself, much cheaper that way.

-Brandon

How long do the eggs take to hatch? And do you have to do anything special?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A bit over a week usually. And then it's just a matter of growing them up to the size you want. You can even let some turn into moths, to produce your own eggs. I've never done that but I'm going to be trying with this current batch of eggs.

-Brandon

Merlin124

Original Poster
Yikes! Didn't know the prices were that high for them. I'm only in highschool and don't make much. Maybe horned worms they seem cheaper? Do they come small or big and if big do I need to cut them?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hornworms are quite expensive too, but their problem is they really don't last too long, and they grow and eat incredibly quick.

Nutritionally, hornworms aren't a bug you want as a staple feeder.

Some other feeders besides crickets and dubias would be

BSFL
Superworms
Mealworms
Butterworms (expensive too)

Silks aren't as expensive if you buy the eggs instead, but it can be a bit of a challenge and a time commitment to raise them.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom