Black fuzzy cleaners in crickets bad to eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
So Freyja got ahold of one of the fuzzy wooly larvae that came out of cricket run. I have heard they carry parasites should I be worried is she gonna get ill? Should I take her to a vet soon? Should I worry!?!?

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
I don't think you should worry about parasites unless she starts to show symptoms like loose and very smelly stool. FYI crickets can carry parasites, too. If you're feeding them as a staple I think you should switch to dubia, silkworms, bsfl, and/or a bit of super worms. I don't think you should worry if no symptoms are showing, though :D

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Yeah I’ve always better to buy but here in there I’ve had to feed her crickets I’ve got a colony going now but you know when times got tough I had to get some crickets. I have not been on here a while and just read your reply says loose stinky store lately she’s had some pretty loose stinky stool. Can someone please post a way to find a good reptile vet near me because I really like to see why she eats really well so I don’t get it

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
https://arav.site-ym.com/search/newsearch.asp

That's how I found my vet. Before you rush to the vet, though, (if you do actually think it's necessary) call them and ask about pricing and whatnot. I almost got charged $95 for a fecal test until I called the office! Also read some reviews, especially the negative ones. Look for patterns, at my local vet they would only respond to positive feedback and they got quite a lot of negative reviews, too. If you have access to a microscope, you can do the fecal test yourself. On beardeddragon.co they sell $8 fecal test kits that come with 4 tests I think (but of course you need a microscope).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree and wouldn't worry too much about it. Sounds like just one of the cleaner crew and is likely to be harmless. Look for symptoms like significant weight loss, loose/messy poop, or unusually stinky poop. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Thanks guys appreciate the info on the vet stuff. Will want to get her there soon anyhow to see what shes lacking and what not shes only 4-5 months old right now. It will be her first visit. Thankyou for the info on the microscope and tests. maybe ill pick those things up to have now and for future. Her poop has been a lil loose and really smelly come to think of it so im gonna look into it. Just noticed too in previous message in regards to crickets i had wrote "Ive always been better to buy, but here and there ive had to get crickets when times have got tough." I meant to say Ive always fed her dubia but had to buy crickets here and there like the time she got the black fuzzy lol. I have put a pretty penny and time into this colony of dubia i have going now, so hope to be rid of these problems. She does not care for cricket she is a boochie dragon lol. Hooorah bearded dragon slave ! Thanks again guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom