Dubia Roach feed went rotten, can/when can I feed beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. So, we were out of town over the weekend, and a family member without telling me dumped leftover salad in the dubia roach bin (I don't even know if it had dressing or others on it, I'm gonna ask when they get back home). Well that was on a thursday, and we got back monday night, so the salad went bad. It doesn't have flies/maggots or anything like that, but its definitely brown/liquidy/mildly smelly kinda rotten. I'm afraid to feed the roaches to my bearded dragons if they've been eating rotten food because I'm betting it could make them sick. If I clean the bin, offer water and dubia feed for them for a few days, would it be safe to feed them again? Or do I need to wait longer or not even feed these roaches at all anymore and get new ones? I know nutrients tend to stay in a roach for 1-3ish days, but I'm not sure if certain toxins would stay for longer.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think that if you remove the old food and provide some fresh food with plenty of water (think squash/pumpkin etc) then they should be fine within a few days.

BeardedBeings":12nfp7b1 said:
Hey guys. So, we were out of town over the weekend, and a family member without telling me dumped leftover salad in the dubia roach bin (I don't even know if it had dressing or others on it, I'm gonna ask when they get back home). Well that was on a thursday, and we got back monday night, so the salad went bad. It doesn't have flies/maggots or anything like that, but its definitely brown/liquidy/mildly smelly kinda rotten. I'm afraid to feed the roaches to my bearded dragons if they've been eating rotten food because I'm betting it could make them sick. If I clean the bin, offer water and dubia feed for them for a few days, would it be safe to feed them again? Or do I need to wait longer or not even feed these roaches at all anymore and get new ones? I know nutrients tend to stay in a roach for 1-3ish days, but I'm not sure if certain toxins would stay for longer.
I feed my roaches human food never roach feed unless they eat cricket food which is possible. I get what your saying it went rotten but I agree with another comment just clean it out and feed them fresh food some good stuff so they poop and they will be fine. I have the bio dude set up so my roaches have eaten some junk I'm sure. Like in the wild nothing is perfect its not going to hurt your beardie. I feed mine dry oatmeal too which is an option next time you have to leave. Anything you want your beardies to consume feed it to roaches they eat just about anything. I would not worry about it that much. Having one bad issue will not hurt your beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom