Will mites in my dubia colony harm my beardie?

This forum is for discussing topics of caring for and breeding feeders (crickets, roaches, etc.) for those interested in raising their own bearded dragon live feeders.

Will mites in my dubia colony harm my beardie?

Postby Veda » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:06 am

I recently discovered mites in my dubia colony. Fortunately I havent been feeding them to my beardie for a while now, but I also don't know how long they've been there. Can they harm my dragon in any way? Should I take him to the vet?
Veda
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Will mites in my dubia colony harm my beardie?

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:49 pm

Which kind of mites? The little white grain mites? If so, grain mites are harmless. They're just a pain to get rid of. Reducing humidity in the area with a dehumidifier usually does the trick after a while.
CooperDragon

Postby Veda » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:41 am

CooperDragon wrote:Which kind of mites? The little white grain mites? If so, grain mites are harmless. They're just a pain to get rid of. Reducing humidity in the area with a dehumidifier usually does the trick after a while.

I'm not sure. They're very small and mostly white, but there are some that are brown/redish. I've heard getting rid of them is a lot of work. I wanna keep the adult roaches, but I kinda wish I could feed the small ones to my beardie... I don't wanna risk him getting sick tho. Do you know what these brown mites could be?
Veda
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:35 am

I'm not sure about the brown ones. Can you post some photos of them? The tiny white ones are likely grain mites (they look like sand) and as I mentioned, using a good dehumidifier nearby should get rid of them.
CooperDragon

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Feeders