Dubias are illegal where I live. What should I feed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dubias are illegal to ship to Florida (yet for some reason most scorpions are not. A tiny harmless colony of ovals with legs meant specifically to be eaten is WAY more dangerous than literally all the scorpions you can fit in a truck. sure.), which is unfortunate because they're such great to feed from what I've heard. I know crickets are loud and gross and bitey, so I don't want to use those. Should I breed mealworms or try for something more nutritious/less chitinous, like hornworms or waxworms? I'll switch over to dubias once I can get out of this trashpit, but I'd like a good alternative in the meantime. I'll get my beardie in a week if things go according to plan and I'm really excited, but bugs are something I really need to get sorted before then.

TakoNigiri

Original Poster
Thanks for the recommendations! I'm not entirely sure my parents will be comfortable with the roaches but I'll try to convince them, they've bought live worms for the compost bin before. I plan to use the reptisun 10.0 but don't have it yet, but I do have a ceramic heat emitter and a basking light which consistently emit 95-100 degrees on the warm side and stays a little over 80 on the cool side.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your basking bulb is good as long as your temps are accurate- no stick ons- digital probe thermometer is best or infrared heat gun- unless your taking him outside for UVB he will not last long w/ out it--- he needs UVB everyday or every other if taking him outside- but you must get a UVB they are crucial to his over all health--- the roaches are easier to keep than crickets-- no noise they don't stink they last longer - and better nutrition wise
Karrie

TakoNigiri

Original Poster
Aww, my parents said no to the discoids and I'll probably have to use crickets. At least they said I can buy the bulb.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Proper lighting in the tank is crucial ------------- if he does not have proper temps or UVB you wont haft to worry about the food --- he wont eat and he will get sick ------------ just saying ---- the crickets are more of a pain to put up w/ but its your choice --- the roaches are the least of your worry- crickets will escape they stink they chirp and they will cost more money in the long run - but its up to your parents --- you can also get some silk worms they are another good staple feeder - you can get them from here
www.reptilianarts.com order in bulk like 50 they will come small you will need to order food to feed them daily and clean containers out daily too ---
www.coastilsilkworms.com
www.mulberryfarms.com they are high on shipping--
These are a nice compliment to BSFL -
Make sure your feeding salads fresh greens every day here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Glad you can get the uvb light, that is a definite must.

Would worms be a yes?
Calcigrubs would be a great thing to add in if you can only feed crickets.
calcigrubs.com or sympton.com

As long as you are feeding salads (greens + veggies) everyday and can add in a staple worm, I think it would be ok.

Will you also be giving calcium and vitamin supplements?

TakoNigiri

Original Poster
My parents might let me get the worms every now and then, and yes, I will be using vitamin and calcium supplements! Thank you for linking the guide, it's super useful. Good to know most of the good staples are stuff I have easy access to! I didn't know they could eat cactus pad, does that include aloe and succulents?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Not sure on that one but you can PM AHBD and ask her --- the prickly pear pads are sold on Amazon- your dragon needs a staple worm - the main diet for babies is protein now when he / she becomes a adult then they go down to insects 2-3 times per week but they do needs salads as well
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Good...the bsfl are honestly so easy - and you can get them auto shipped at a discount.

Not succulents. Jade is a succulent and is poisonous to them.

My 12 yr old says they can have aloe, but I haven't looked into it, and I'm not going to try it unless I find out for sure that it's ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom