Baby Dubia roaches dying

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Hello there,
I've noticed a fairly recent trend in my Dubia colony. Baby Dubia roaches are dying everyday. It's only between 1-3 per day, but I only have aroung 100 adults.

I feed them a variety of different foods; carrots, oatmeal, squash, bok choi, dog food, potatoes, bananas, apples etc. The temperature is about 32°C right where the heat mat is, mid twenties near it and low twenties elsewhere. Although the temperature has risen due to a rise in temperature in my area, making the roaches a little more active. Any idea on what's happening to them?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Babies dying is typically from lack of protein. If your dog food is just chunks, they might not be able to eat it like the larger dubia can, making them not have any protein source.

They really dont need very much protein, but veggies and fruits wont cut it for the babies. The adults can survive on that though.

32c is a little cool imo for the hottest area. In my bins I set the hottest area to around 94. Then a bit higher up you are sitting at mid to high 80s.

-Brandon

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":32w68zq2 said:
Babies dying is typically from lack of protein. If your dog food is just chunks, they might not be able to eat it like the larger dubia can, making them not have any protein source.

They really dont need very much protein, but veggies and fruits wont cut it for the babies. The adults can survive on that though.

32c is a little cool imo for the hottest area. In my bins I set the hottest area to around 94. Then a bit higher up you are sitting at mid to high 80s.

-Brandon

Ahh I see, that could be it. I do see the babies on the chunks but yeah maybe they're not about to get it. Thank you!

I'm going to try transfer them to a warmer place soon :). Have you any good protein sources apart from dog food?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I aim for only around 4-6% protein so my roach chow is basically just a mix of ground oats and fortified breakfast cereal. That along with ther fruits and veggies they get.

I used to use a mix of dogfood and other items ground up, but I've been having good success with this lower protein chow. Just cant let the protein be too low :)

-Brandon

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":31ia3l2o said:
I aim for only around 4-6% protein so my roach chow is basically just a mix of ground oats and fortified breakfast cereal. That along with ther fruits and veggies they get.

I used to use a mix of dogfood and other items ground up, but I've been having good success with this lower protein chow. Just cant let the protein be too low :)

-Brandon

Hi Brandon, sorry for the late reply
Thank you very much :). I've tried adding more protein to their diets, but the problem of young ones dying isn't going away. Any advice? I do have a high amount of males compared to females, could this be contributing to problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom