Grain mites. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. So i have grain mites. This is the first time I’ve dealt with this issue. They came in large numbers in a superworm cup I bought and overnight spilled out of it (it was too crowded and they didn’t have enough food anymore in there) unto the desk they were on, my tarantula enclosures (all small slings, so they’ll be easy to change), my scorpion and snake enclosures (small critter keepers), two adjacent shelves, and my red eared slider’s tank (where they’re currently huddled mostly around the filter that’s perched on top). So far I haven’t found them elsewhere but I don’t know how quickly they walk. I figured they’d stay around food/water sources.

I’ve been told it’s fruitless to try to get rid of them entirely because “they’re always everywhere in small numbers,” but I also don’t want hordes of them everywhere in my living room (even though I was also told they’re mostly an annoyance—except when in very large numbers). I already threw most everything away, cleaned up other stuff (that has mites again), and put fruit slices in places to coax them out. So, here are my questions, as I need help figuring out my next steps.

1. Will anti-mite paper work? I wouldn’t place any animals on it. I’d just put it on desks and shelves to catch stragglers.

2. Will using a dehumidifier to get the humidity down to around 45% desiccate them? I know they can enter a dormant stage, so I’d keep humidity low for months, if necessary. I have just been reading papers that say that even around 71 degrees (like we keep the air conditioner on) if the humidity is lower than 60%, they’ll die.

3. I will be vacuuming and cleaning off all surfaces with hot water and soap before putting on the anti-mite paper. Is there anything else I can use? Maybe alcohol?

4. I’ll be replacing the substrate on all my tarantulas, my scorpion, and my snake, and moving them elsewhere. However, can grain mites survive off just water? Or do they need decaying material of some sort? Because even if I keep my terrariums pristine, they’ll still have water bowls. Will they go down in numbers anyway as long as I clean out the water bowls often and keep everything else very dry?

5. How do I deal with the mites on my turtle tank? I am afraid they’re hiding in crevices and will keep coming out. Do I have to get a new tank? Or should I just get rid of the outside filter and buy another underwater filter? Wouldn’t they be attracted to the tank anyway since it has water? Will they just drown or can they survive IN water?

6. Is it worth it to get small dehumidifiers for all rooms to prevent them from multiplying should they make it upstairs? How far do they walk anyway?

7. Is there more I can do to coax the ones still roaming around out into the open so I can kill them? Small fruit slices only go so far. Fortunately there aren’t swarms of them that I can see walking around but there’s quite a bit of them. I know because I can see them in my larger tarantula’s water bowl and there’s quite a bit of them.

8. I’ve read two studies about pea flour used to kill other types of mites. Has anyone heard of these studies or anyone who’s tried it? I found pea flour and pea protein. One is the studies mentioned they processed the pea flour to have 90% protein, so I figured protein powder would work best. If anyone knows about this, I’d appreciate input.

Overall, I just want my sanity back. I’m OCD and have issues with parasites or anything that infests, and it’s taking a huge toll on my physical and mental health to deal with this. I haven’t even sat on the couch, interacted with family, or gone near the area where the breakout occurred (other than to wipe and kill the ones I see) because I’m paranoid and just overall sick at the thought of spreading them around the living room/kitchen and having them get upstairs to infest my cat’s and bird’s spaces.

Thank you in advance, and so sorry for the rant but I’m at my wits’ end.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Those are a huge pain but fortunately they're harmless. The best results I've had getting rid of them is to use a dehumidifier near where they are congregating. Bringing the humidity down seems to make them vanish for good.

Jennifer0148

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2m9a6fw8 said:
Those are a huge pain but fortunately they're harmless. The best results I've had getting rid of them is to use a dehumidifier near where they are congregating. Bringing the humidity down seems to make them vanish for good.

I’m definitely getting one. Would you have a recommendation for one specifically? There are so many. I just want one that will work very well.

Also, will the dehumidifier take care of them in the turtle tank? Or do I need to tear that down/get a new one?

Thanks.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not sure how it will handle the turtle tank. I don't have a specific model to recommend but I use one that plugs in and is about the size of a suitcase. I'd look for one designed to dehumidify the area you're trying to get rid of the mites from. Running the dehumidifier for a few days should do the trick though and you'll just see them vanish.

Ultrabeard

Just thought I would jot down my experience here. I've dealt with them since the beginning, and didn't even know they existed until the hordes came! Nobody tells you about these guys at Repticon lol.

Basically I have had ZERO issues with them since I took the following precautions:
1. Don't leave fruits/moist food in their container any longer than overnight. Wait at least 3 days before feeding again. Carrots or potatoes are a slight exception since they aren't as moist, you have to keep a balance to keep the humidity/moistness down on any insect bedding.
2. Replace any bedding or frass every week or two. If insects eat fruit they will poop wet poops especially dubia! The more it builds up the more liability there is.
3. Huge issues if you for instance feed Dubia some diet grain mixes, and subsequently feeding food/fruits. Grain + anything moist = grain mites.
I will note that the frass does not seem to become as much of an issue if I don't feed dubia diet grains even once (basically make sure it's clean of grains initially, store mine in insect cups)
4. They are always there forever. Even when they seem completely gone, there's almost ALWAYS a handful lurking! Trust me I'll break out my microscope and check my superworm bedding even when I order new ones and they are there. They are natural and harmless in these low numbers...it's like dust mites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zazzep
Top Bottom