How to Kill a Dubia Colony that Possibly has Parasites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynesta

Hi! I own a 1 1/2 yo beardie and not too long ago he got parasites. At the time I owned a dubia colony that I’ve had since my previous beardie passed away from gout (about a year.) I’m wondering what is the best way to get rid of my colony. Thanks :) -Amanda

LimKH

Cynesta":2c1yqcgf said:
Hi! I own a 1 1/2 yo beardie and not too long ago he got parasites. At the time I owned a dubia colony that I’ve had since my previous beardie passed away from gout (about a year.) I’m wondering what is the best way to get rid of my colony. Thanks :) -Amanda
Does the dubia have parasites or your beardie? I'd it's your dubia colony, flip them upside down while holding it with tongs or your hand, and check whether they have white things between their legs or body. This is all the information I can give you as I don't really know things about beardies having parasites.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Cynesta":zvh0d85d said:
I would want to rule out any other possible sources before resorting to that. Do you have definite evidence (if so, what?), or just a suspicion?
Does your dragon ever free range outside where it might pick something up?
Any greens/vegetables from possibly questionable sources?
Exposure to other animal feces?

If it were me, and I were absolutely sure it was the dubias, I might expose the colony to extreme cold. That may sound harsh, but considering that their usual method of demise is being eaten alive...

I would not use any poisons/pesticides.

Others may have other/better suggestions/solutions.

Cynesta

Original Poster
LimKH":1paj1l3j said:
Cynesta":1paj1l3j said:
Does the dubia have parasites or your beardie? I'd it's your dubia colony, flip them upside down while holding it with tongs or your hand, and check whether they have white things between their legs or body. This is all the information I can give you as I don't really know things about beardies having parasites.

Sorry I did not specify. My bearded dragon no longer has parasites. He had pinworms, and I had a suspicion he got them from my dubia colony. I don’t mind getting rid of my colony, as it is rather small and I don’t want to risk him getting parasites again. I just bought 300 mediums and I’m hoping to start another colony with those, so really, I don’t really mind killing my old colont

Cynesta

Original Poster
MrSpectrum":27r69ioa said:
Cynesta":27r69ioa said:
I would want to rule out any other possible sources before resorting to that. Do you have definite evidence (if so, what?), or just a suspicion?
Does your dragon ever free range outside where it might pick something up?
Any greens/vegetables from possibly questionable sources?
Exposure to other animal feces?

If it were me, and I were absolutely sure it was the dubias, I might expose the colony to extreme cold. That may sound harsh, but considering that their usual method of demise is being eaten alive...

I would not use any poisons/pesticides.

Others may have other/better suggestions/solutions.

Hi! I am not completely sure my colony has parasites, only a suspicion. But I don’t mind getting rid of my current colony, as it’s rather small... and I also bought new roaches to start a colony with them.
I let my beardie outside and keep my eyes on him almost all the time, since he loves to run around but doesn’t like a leash. I fear something will snatch him up if I take my eyes off him. He has taken nips at plants a few times, but before he had parasites it was winter, so I wasn’t taking him outside at the time
I’ve never gotten greens from questionable sources and I usually rinse them off before I feed him greens.
There are other reptiles in the house (russian tortoise and 4 terrapins) but does not come in contact with them or their feces.
Thank you c: Amanda

I see this is older, but I can't help myself.

Don't kill the colony outright when it can be used for evil and mischief. Know a shady local slumlord? Release them at one of his rental properties or next to his personal home. Hate your boss? Have the colony nicely gift wrapped and anonymously delivered to the boss while at work. In laws getting on your last nerve? Sounds like they need to find some big ass roaches running around their home. Catch food poisoning from a local fast food joint and the health dept doesn't want to investigate? They'll have to investigate if people report seeing 2-3" roaches running around in there.

Ofc I'm joking...mostly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom