Black beetles and a few worms in live cricket delivery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany1288

Hi,
I’m very new to all of this and just got a bearded dragon through an educator grant. Well he’s obviously home with me during this shelter in place time. Anyways, I decided to try ordering live crickets from flukers online since I’m under a shelter in place in my city. The shipment came and I noticed a few small black beetle looking things in there as well as a couple fuzzy worms. I got rid of those bugs but I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with that in a live shipment. I know nothing about bugs and don’t know if maybe that’s a bad sign that those extra bugs were in there.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
It's hard to tell without pics for identification. You can use the User Image Uploader at the top of the screen.

They could be clean-up crew, or they could be hitchhikers/stowaways. I occasionally get some odd-looking interlopers in an order of dubia roaches (never fed crickets) but usually only near the end of the supply, when some of the bottom of the bin gets scraped up with the feeders. Like yourself, I pick them out--and crush before discarding.

Haven't had any resulting problems.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, those would be dermestid beetles and the fuzzy worms are their larva stage. They are put in to clean up shed skin, etc and both are harmless and even edible but not really to be fed to your lizard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom