Dubia roach colony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mflav

I recently started to grow my own colony I have them in a dark 20gallon rubber made container. Have 2 reptile heating pads underneath. I need 85-90 degrees in order for breading to happen. My issue is my temps are always fluctuating. One hr it’s 78 and can go as high as 106 which is NOT good waaaay to hot!!! How do I manage to keep constant temps. And yes I am using a digital probe temp gauge

Mflav

Original Poster
I would say ambient temperature the probe is in the middle of my 10 egg crates about halfway down on the hot end of the container

Mflav

Original Poster
But do you have it stuck on plastic the wattage can’t be too strong otherwise it will melt

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes I have the plastic tub sitting ontop of the heat mat. The heat mat, by the way, is encased in plastic too. A flexible plastic, but it's still plastic. It's only 17 watts.
It's specifically made to have items placed ontop of it.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What I'm getting at is it sounds like your setup or your specific heat mats aren't keeping a constant temp. Maybe they have internal circuitry that shuts them on and off. I'd look into a different method of heating, such as what I have used with success.

-Brandon

Mflav

Original Poster
They are the stock on zoo med ones can u please post again what to order(what u use)

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
claudiusx":1xkkqwwy said:
I'd look into a different method of heating, such as what I have used with success.
...Or a different method of thermostatic control. I've got a thermostatically-controlled muffin fan w/ probe keeping my enclosure at the correct ambient. It turns on @90°F and off @ 88°F (but it could be set at any temps). A similar control could turn heating mats on & off (instead of a fan). I got the system at https://www.coolerguys.com/ They were very helpful understanding what I wanted to do, and helping specify components. The whole system IIRC was around $60 including the fan & some nonessential extras (which you don't need).

Mflav

Original Poster
Brandon my new heat mat came today that you told me to order I cannot figure out how to change it over to Fahrenheit setting directions aren’t very clear any suggestions

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I believe you just hold the button down for a few seconds. Let me check on mine.

-Brandon

Mflav

Original Poster
Thank you and what temperature should I have it set at I was thinking about 90°? I am trying to breed I have 12 adult females and 7 males Ready to Create a family LOL I have the temperature probe about 3 inches from the bottom of container what should that read as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom