How do you extract dubias from breeding colony?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elektrix

I started my own dubia roach breeding colony which seems to be going quite well. Lots of babies running around in there :blob5:

My question is; how do you go about getting the roaches out of there for feeding time? I kind of hate to remove the egg flats because I don’t want to scare and stress my adult breeders. More importantly, I don’t want to disturb any eggs that may be gestating. :(

Does anyone have any tips? Thanks much!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
When I clean the bins I sort out enough of the size that I want to hold me over for a few weeks or so. And then they go into their own bin.

So essentially, have a breeding bin and a feeding bin. Just make sure when you sort that you dont take all of the dubias at a specific size. You want to still be leaving generations to continue to grow and breed.

-Brandon

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I'm in the opinion that females can handle some moving when gestating. The females have a harder body once they mature and will look quite plump, they can handle a little moving while keeping their egg/babies safe inside them. Nothing near as difficult as what they would have to do in the wild habitat.

Elektrix

Original Poster
Maybe I have a terrible misunderstanding here but don’t they have to lay their eggs, then some time passes before they hatch? As in, this happens outside of the female’s body? I’m just afraid that while trying to shake out the young roaches from the egg flats, I’ll dump out the eggs before they hatch.
Thanks for the replies!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Ther females hold the egg sacks inside them and the babies essentially hatch inside the mother. So no need to fear losing any unborn babies.

-Brandon

Elektrix

Original Poster
Well how about that?!? :shock: Way cool!

Thank you! Just fed my beardie some of the roaches I’ve bred, felt good. I appreciate the info!

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
They give live birth! It's gross and interesting. Not my photos but I found what should be how it happens here http://imgur.com/yCp7NTl

I am trying to catch my own roaches giving birth so I can take some amateur pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom