Status
Not open for further replies.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hello everyone,

I'm a little confused when I open my container of BSFL. Sometimes they are stagnant and don't move but look alive. I keep them out of the fridge at room temp. Also, someone at the petstore told me the black ones are dead, but if they're BLACk soldier fly larvae, that should mean they're changing right? I just don't wanna feed my Drogon anything dead, but seriously, how do you pick apart what's alive and dead?

If you go by what's moving in the cup, then I got sold half a container of dead ones -__-

Let me know your thoughts!
Selkie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The black ones are older and about to turn to flies. They can be eaten and so can the flies. If you keep the top on the cup you can offer all of those stages.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
I sift them out of the bedding and drop them into a cup of warm water. That rinses them and gets them wiggling, so you can easily see their activity levels. Then I sift them out of the water onto paper towel - in a container - where they'll squirm away. That helps dry them, which is important because when they're wet they can climb the walls of any bowl/dish I've tried!
See if that helps you. The flies are a cool challenge for the beardie. Mine gets one occasionally, when they've hidden and turned in his viv.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
JumpinJellyfish":pymc1wv1 said:
I sift them out of the bedding and drop them into a cup of warm water. That rinses them and gets them wiggling, so you can easily see their activity levels. Then I sift them out of the water onto paper towel - in a container - where they'll squirm away. That helps dry them, which is important because when they're wet they can climb the walls of any bowl/dish I've tried!
See if that helps you. The flies are a cool challenge for the beardie. Mine gets one occasionally, when they've hidden and turned in his viv.

Hey there!
Thanks for responding :) If you put them in water, dont they die? Also, can one safely assume if its not moving that its dead or just in a morphing state?

Lol Drogon is very lazy with hunting lately. He wont try to catch any crickets unless they walk in striking distance xD

Selkie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can rinse them before feeding. Keep in mind they are good climbers when wet. Rinsing them or even just shaking them with a mesh sieve works well for a lot at once. If they are dark and not moving they are probably ok. If they are small and light colored but not moving (and feel mushy) when you touch them they may be dead. They generally tend to hold up well though.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
Hey there!
Thanks for responding :) If you put them in water, dont they die? Also, can one safely assume if its not moving that its dead or just in a morphing state?

Lol Drogon is very lazy with hunting lately. He wont try to catch any crickets unless they walk in striking distance xD

Selkie
Hi! I would assume leaving them in the water for a long time might kill them, yes, but it's only for a few seconds really. And Cooperdragon explained nicely about movement. :0)
And remember you want them dry in the final dish or they'll climb right out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom