Best place for BSFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al6911

I did a quick search on the site and didn't quite find what I'm looking for, but forgive me if this has already been answered. I think I may have killed my insects :banghead: they were in a mini fridge, but I forgot to change the temp. His insects don't smell, so they might just be hibernating. I removed them from the fridge for the time being. Originally, I bought BSFL from Josh's frogs, but I don't have a good feeling about the quality of feeders I received. I want to follow the article on growing Phoenix worms, I already have everything for it, but I just don't trust the insects I got.. In all fairness to Josh's Frogs, I have no evidence the feeders are unhealthy. I want Dovahh to be on a staple diet of BSFL and silkworms, buying him treat insects when I reorder. I live in the USA, and I'm having trouble finding a good place that sells a good quantity of BSFL and has a good deal on Silkworms.

Al6911

Original Poster
Turns out his BSFL survived! His superworms are gone, so I took the loss and tossed them. His BSFL are greedily eating away at the organic multigrain bread and baby food! Dovahh ate about 10-15 today, but ignored his morning greens. Hopefully he will eat his nighttime greens. His daily salad is about 1/4 a leaf of collard greens, mustard greens, and half a leaf of turnip greens. 3-4 1/2" cubes of sweet peas and 2 chopped up snap peas or 1/8 of a bell pepper chopped up green beans. Note: I will be switching out the veggies each time I buy them, that's just what I got this time around. Also, I personally love Bell peppers, so I don't have any tips to save them unless you just eat them yourselves :lol: anyways- his schedule:
Morning: salad is usually prepped the night before in a sandwich container, resting between paper towels. 1/2ish of salad is given to him, misted with water, lightly dusted.
My lunch time (anywhere from 12-2): morning salad is removed if left. If salad was largely left untouched, insects are dusted. He is on a diet of BSFL, as I've stated, I give him a hornworm or a waxworm if he eats a couple other worms.
After work (can be anywhere from 2-7. Usually around 6): rest of salad is given, misted. I don't really bother dusting unless he hasn't eaten much that day.
Dusting schedule: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday- Calcium with D3. Tuesday & Thursday- multivitamin. Sunday- pure calcium.
I will keep the Josh's Frogs BSFL, but I'm going to try Sympton after they are all gone. He seems to be a huge fan of hornworms, but doesn't seem to care much for the waxworm I offered the other day. Waxworms are gut loaded with bee pollen. I will also be getting the Grub Pie as an emergency food.
I hope everything seems all well and good for Dovahh, I really want the best for him. He is still cautious about me but he flew off of that hammock to get to the worms. I know it'll take a while, but I'm pretty sure I'm already seeing improvements!

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
CooperDragon":2osu5c25 said:
Just be sure to remove all of the substrate from each one before feeding.
So I gotta wash these maggots first before every meal? :shock:
I saw something about this whilst searching for how to store them, and wanted to verify it here. I understand it's so the BDs don't get obstructed by the coconut fiber substrate, but it's going to be a PITA. Might be the last time I order BSFL! :(

Can't they find a better medium to store/ship them in? :?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes it is a bit of a pain. The different companies tend to use different substrates but most of them should be at least brushed off thoroughly. A little bit included probably won't cause an issue but brushing or rinsing them is a downside of that feeder.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
MrSpectrum":qzpk62b3 said:
CooperDragon":qzpk62b3 said:
Just be sure to remove all of the substrate from each one before feeding.
So I gotta wash these maggots first before every meal? :shock:
I saw something about this whilst searching for how to store them, and wanted to verify it here. I understand it's so the BDs don't get obstructed by the coconut fiber substrate, but it's going to be a PITA. Might be the last time I order BSFL! :(

Can't they find a better medium to store/ship them in? :?
This may help - I bought children's sand toys - the little sifters - and those help immensely!! Also the BSFL from Josh's Frogs are in coco fiber - PITA to clear, but feels cleaner to me. The ones from Symtonbsf.com are in more of a sandy substrate, and easier to rinse. So go with what works for you!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I dont rinse mine. I just use a strainer that let's the substrate through but not the larva. The symtom substrate is decently dry, so it doesnt stick too much. Really easy to sift it off.

IME, sifting works good enough for me. I know it doesnt get off as much as washing them down, but I've never had a problem with it. And to be Frank, the amount I feed and the hassle of washing them would make me not offer BSFL anymore lol.
Suki who is the only one who really likes the BSFL easily goes through 50+ a day when I have them.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I have some nylon/plastic window screen, cut to fit perfectly inside one of the (removed) enclosure vents. It won't sift out the coconut fiber (not Josh's) but it will wash most of it off under the faucet (trying not to think about what that fiber is doing to my drain lines... :x )

It's still a PITA... Last BSFL for us--I'm sticking to dubias. Zardoz likes them better anyway--the BSFL don't wiggle enough to suit him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom