What to Feed Dubias?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
I am not starting a dubia colony; I just want to know what to feed my dubias before I give them to Figment. I just got a shipment of 200 small dubias, and I plunked a piece of potato and two slices of squash in with them. Is that okay? Should I put anything else, or anything different, in for them to eat? I figured the potato and squash would serve as food and liquid sustenance. I didn't think to order dubia chow... should I?

Thanks in advance!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Salad scraps are good to use. They love fruits. I've found that cantaloupe rinds get eaten pretty quickly. And of course oranges too.

You can make your own chow recipe too. Recipes used to be really secretive but you can find them pretty readily on the internet now.

It does seem important for best breeding results to have protein offered too (which is where a chow of sorts would come in handy)

-Brandon

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
So after a few hours, I noticed that pretty much no roaches were on the potato and very few on the squash, so I took both out... on the last occasion, when I put in a couple of apple slices, they were COVERED in short order, so I'll toss in an apple core and a couple of slices. Don't have any cantaloupe at the moment, but I'll keep that in mind - and the salad scraps, too.

I'm not too much interested in making roach chow, since these guys won't last more than a week if I feed Figment conservatively (he decimated most of last night's haul of crickets in 10 minutes today)... maybe if I ever drink the KoolAde and start breeding a colony I'll consider it! :lol:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yup a lot of it is just trying things and seeing what they tend to swarm. That's usually a pretty good indicator of something they like :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom