Housing BSFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting a shipment of BSFL in on Saturday and I'm wondering what's the best way to store them when they aren't being fed to Dinraal? I'm thinking maybe one of those feeder keepers that pet stores sell. As far as keeping them fresh is concerned, some websites say to NEVER store them in the refrigerator, and other websites say it's fine to store them in the refrigerator. I'd love to hear y'all's thoughts on the matter!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I just keep them in the container they arrive in. They last a couple of months that way before hatching (in my experience anyway). They make good treats as flies once they hatch too.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

How many are you getting?
I agree I just keep them in the containers they came in.

The refrigerator is too cold for them. A wine cooler is perfect, or a mini fridge that you set to around 50 is good. But that's really not necessary. They will last for a few weeks at least at room temp. Cooling them off would only be necessary if you buy in huge bulk quantities that you cant feed off in a few weeks.

-Brandon

arcadia1216

Original Poster
I'm fairly sure I ended up buying 1000 of the small larvae because I wanted to buy just the small ones at first (and because my Beardie is only 4ish months old) so I hope he REALLY likes eating them! xD

But that's great, Ill just store them in the containers they ship in and see how that works! Thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have 500 coming from symton - I usually get them from www.dubiaroaches.com and the directions on them say they last 2 weeks and to store them on the door of the fridge - and that is what I have been doing so they dont turn into flys - I take them out about an hr before serving them and rinse them off to get the dirt off - that usually wakes them up so they are moving when put on Blazes salad
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They will live for 2 weeks at room temp without turning usually. Door of the fridge would be for if you want to keep them longer :)

And it has to be the door as this is usually the warmest part of the fridge.

-Brandon

arcadia1216

Original Poster
Great! Thanks everyone!

So they ended up coming today (Friday) which is great for me. They came packed with sand though, so I have to strain out the sand to get to the feeders. Any tips on straining or what type I should use?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can use a strainer with big enough holes or slots.

I have a bunch of those feeder cups left over so I just drilled a bunch of holes in the lid of one and I use that as my sifter.

-Brandon

Peach

Hatchling Member
I have a cooler under the tank that I keep them in with one of those refreezable ice packs (in a bowl so the condensation doesn't get on the worm container). It stays at about 55 and they last for about a month before hatching. I don't warm them up before feeding either. Bleu doesn't seem to care and they warm up in the tank in no time anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom