Any reputable cricket delivery companies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kileyb

Hello! So I feel like I'm stopping at the pet store like three times a week but I was curious and I looked into delivery but I don't know if it's the best idea I feel like my crickets die pretty quick even though I do what I'm supposed to so I can imagine them getting shipped and there's no way I'm paying almost $100 for overnight shipping so I just didn't know if anyone had any experience with this or any luck or any advice or suggestions for any in particular site. Appreciate it ❤️

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would recommend dubia roaches --- they are easier to keep and more healthier than crickets and they last longer here is some info
Dubias
• Wide range of sizes
• Long life span
• Excellent nutrition
• Easy to digest
• High in protein
Convenient for you
• Odorless and soundless
• Will not infest your home
• Can be stored out of sight
• Easy to care for
• Cannot jump, fly or climb
you can order them on line or find a pet store in your area that sells them
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I prefer roaches too but they aren't available everywhere (banned in Florida and Canada for example). I used to order crickets from Georgia/Premium crickets and had mostly good luck with them. Just be aware of the temps/weather in between your house and Georgia. I've heard good things about Armstrong as well but haven't worked with them myself.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
CooperDragon":jo8tbnpn said:
I prefer roaches too but they aren't available everywhere (banned in Florida and Canada for example). I used to order crickets from Georgia/Premium crickets and had mostly good luck with them. Just be aware of the temps/weather in between your house and Georgia. I've heard good things about Armstrong as well but haven't worked with them myself.
You can get roaches in Florida - just not the same kinds. Dubia and several others are illegal, but you can (legally!) have discoids, green banana, and a few others when you can find them. Discoids are easiest. :0)
There are several good dealers for crickets, but I agree thst they are much smellier and noisier to keep.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Tried to send this via PM--kept getting errors.

I got a flyer from a company in NJ at a Reptile Show. I haven't done business with them, but have no reason not too either. :dontknow:
Crickets are currently (as of this post) on-sale.
http://www.dbdpet.com/feeder-insects/

Hope this helps

chrsschb

I've been ordering crickets from rainbowmealworms. They have a pretty large selection of stuff.

Dubias are better overall but are still pretty expensive. I dunno what changed or why, but replenishing my colony has gotten vastly more expensive over the last year.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
chrsschb":2aqiwawa said:
I dunno what changed or why, but replenishing my colony has gotten vastly more expensive over the last year.
:? Isn't the idea of a colony that you don't have to replenish? Usually, I read here that colonies get too big, and people are looking for ways to divest the surplus. :?

This is where I've been getting mine for about 3 months now and I won't order from anywhere else:
500 Live Medium (1/2) Crickets... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O3GXDI8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

They have lightning fast shipping despite what the description may say; mine have been arriving within 2-3 days of ordering. They come in a small cardboard box with screen sides and, of course, part of an egg carton. Price is reasonable. Most importantly, I haven't had even one dead cricket show up from them! In my experience, that's rare.

KarrieRee":3mfnga8p said:
I would recommend dubia roaches --- they are easier to keep and more healthier than crickets and they last longer here is some info
Dubias
• Wide range of sizes
• Long life span
• Excellent nutrition
• Easy to digest
• High in protein
Convenient for you
• Odorless and soundless
• Will not infest your home
• Can be stored out of sight
• Easy to care for
• Cannot jump, fly or climb
you can order them on line or find a pet store in your area that sells them
Karrie

I 100% agree with you on feeding dubias and finally started my own breeding colony about a month ago :) Found out the hard way that those full body length wings on adult males aren't totally just for decoration. Some of them *can* fly, sort of. More like a low height glide for a foot or two. I had no idea until I saw it happen one time but it kinda freaked me out. The adult dubias kinda freak me out in general, I guess because of their size.

Some people don't or can't feed dubias for various reasons and have to go with other options. I know they're banned in at least one state but don't know why? Some people (me) are freaked out by the adults but breed anyway; others (not me) can't get past their aversion enough to have them in their home.

Some landlords will absolutely lose their minds if they find out you intentionally have any sort of roach colony in the home you're renting from them. Mine did at first until I showed him they're totally contained and (theoretically) can't get loose and infest my apartment building. Now he's kinda cool with it but he doesn't particularly like my crickets because some of them do get loose. My motto is honesty is usually the best policy when it comes to landlords but your mileage may vary. When the new owner of my complex took over last year, the new leases we all signed banned ALL reptiles and their feeders, idk why. People told me to lie about having a dragon but since I have her outside on her leash all the time, that wouldn't have worked. I chose to be honest about having my dragon and her feeders and received special permission to own reptiles; had I lied, I would've had to either rehome her or rehome myself. Point is, if anyone "can't" have dubias because of their landlord, try talking to the landlord to work something out before sneaking them in or avoiding them altogether.

Dubias are pricey and some people just can't afford them. I know, I know, if you can't afford "proper" feeders, you have no business owning a bearded dragon. Personally, I agree; not just dragons but any other pet as well. Realistically, I acknowledge that some people who have no business owning dragons own them anyway but, hopefully, do the best they can to care for their pet. Crickets aren't a horrible feeder insect and are healthier than various worms (not including BSFL but those are maggots), they're fairly cheap, and they're easy to come by. Live crickets may not be ideal but they're better than dried out pellets, canned insects, most worms, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom