Any toxic roaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apolla

I've read the list of toxic insects for beardies, but are there any roaches that are toxic or shouldn't be fed to beardies?

I was looking at Cape Cod Roaches and there were a lot of cool looking roaches I wouldn't mind getting. Some of them are marked "display roaches", but while I like to observe them, I don't want to keep them like pets.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't know of roaches that are toxic for them. If you stick with any of the feeder roaches they should be a good option. If you want to observe them and have them look a bit interesting, maybe a colony of death head or orange head roaches would be a good idea.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow they have a lot of roaches. There is a website for everything lol. I haven't heard of any roaches being toxic either, but that site has a ton of exotic roaches on it. It might be worth sending them an e mail and seeing. Some of the display roaches look like the breed very easily, which would make a good feeder to breed if in fact they are a good feeder to feed.

PS, Google, please don't start giving me roach ads lol!

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I keep looking through their site. Geeze that actually have an extinct roach for sale lol!

-Brandon

Apolla

Original Poster
claudiusx":uk1qutq0 said:
Wow they have a lot of roaches. There is a website for everything lol. I haven't heard of any roaches being toxic either, but that site has a ton of exotic roaches on it. It might be worth sending them an e mail and seeing. Some of the display roaches look like the breed very easily, which would make a good feeder to breed if in fact they are a good feeder to feed.

-Brandon

At this point I'm surprised Google doesn't show me roach ads. I've very much enjoyed breeding the dubias. Certain ones with distinguishing features I've named and opted not to use them as feeders. One with a broken wing I called Benedict Arnold (he had an injured leg after Saratoga) and one who spent too long next to the heat got wings that looked charred and I named him Darth Vader. I've wanted to get a night vision camera to observe their behavior but I can't justify the expense. I managed to observe their mating ritual (to no success, the female was NOT interested) and it was so fascinating.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
Apolla":2mdkswzc said:
claudiusx":2mdkswzc said:

-Brandon

At this point I'm surprised Google doesn't show me roach ads. I've very much enjoyed breeding the dubias. Certain ones with distinguishing features I've named and opted not to use them as feeders. One with a broken wing I called Benedict Arnold (he had an injured leg after Saratoga) and one who spent too long next to the heat got wings that looked charred and I named him Darth Vader. I've wanted to get a night vision camera to observe their behavior but I can't justify the expense. I managed to observe their mating ritual (to no success, the female was NOT interested) and it was so fascinating.
Take a look at the wyze.com $20 cameras. They have excellent features (including night vision) and free services. I have one mounted on each end of my beardie's tank. :0)
I like the idea of using one to observe the roaches - I have a colony of discoids and just may try that!

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Apolla":6k643dmv said:
[A]re there any roaches that are toxic or shouldn't be fed to beardies?

From googling toxic roaches and poisonous roaches, aside from pathogens, parasites, and allergies, I haven't been able to find any.

YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom