Flies in my Cricket Cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

yarbharas

I’m not sure if it’s because it’s been getting really hot and humid where I live, but I’ve been getting a lot of tiny flies (I think fruit flies?) in my cricket keeper. I’ve had them show up several times in the past and I solved the issue easily, but in the past few weeks there has been a lot and I can’t get rid of them for the life of me.
I totally clean out my keeper every time I buy new crickets, so usually 3 times a week. I get 100 crickets at a time. I just set up some vinegar traps near the keeper, but until I can get it under control, will it harm my beardie if he accidentally eats one or eats one of its larvae? I have yet to see one of the larva but the tubes in the keeper are black so I really can’t tell if they’re coming from there.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a problem I also have when the weather gets more humid. The vinegar traps (cider vinegar works well) are a good way to go and I usually wind up using several of them. The fruit flies pose no danger, they are just a nuisance. Eventually they go away if you keep the food fresh, keep the cricket bin as clean as possible, and keep the traps up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom