Found A LOT of mold on superworms bedding. Few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Literally OVERNIGHT, after putting in some squash, i found A LOT of mold.
I use a mix of wheat bran and rolled oats as their bedding.
I put in mostly carrots, but sometimes squash. I was out of carrots, so I decide to toss in some squash.
And usually, I dont find any mold. Maybe, if I let it unattended for 4-5 days I will find a bit of mold, but never THIS much, and literally overnight.
So I immediately replaced them with some fresh wheat bran and rolled oats, but I was wondering if they are safe for my beardie to eat right now? Or should I wait a few days so the superworms run its course and let out mold they might have eaten?
It was very odd, as I said, I usually never find mold when I put squash and/or carrots. I feed them twice a week. but it was so fast and SO much. Most likely the squash was bad. But the squash wasnt that old. It had been in my fridge on a ziplock bad for less than a week.

I'm finding little tiny pieces of rolled oats or wheat bran with a tiiiiny bit of mold here and there on their bedding, which im doing my best to pick it out. But it's safe if theres like a super tiny amount of mold on a few flakes of wheat bran and/or rolled oats?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The superworms should be ok. But it never hurts to wait either.

Do you not have very good ventilation in your bin? Typically mold wouldn't bloom overnight like that unless it stayed humid in their bin.

-Brandon

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":32gpeap6 said:
The superworms should be ok. But it never hurts to wait either.

Do you not have very good ventilation in your bin? Typically mold wouldn't bloom overnight like that unless it stayed humid in their bin.

-Brandon

The tupperware that they are in have many big holes for ventilation, but im gonna leave them uncovered. The 2 tupperwares are in a bin as well, uncovered. sometimes the worms jump! they have made a few escapes sometimes from their tupperware, the tupperware has many small holes and one big hole in the center, but a few have actually managed to escape. So I bought a bin to put the tupperwares in, in case they do escape lol. I'v caught a few from time to time roaming around the bin, after escaping their tupperware.

Thanks for the reply!
And sorry for my english :lol:

EDIT: forgot to say, my room is very ventilated almost always. I keep my windows open, door and with a fan. Here in southern california it gets nice and cool in the evening and at night.
I think another thing that went wrong was that I put in WAY too much squash. I have about 250 worms in two tupperwares, but even that, I put in way too much. So this time I just put in a few pieces of carrot. See how that gets in the morning.
Also, could the CHE (ceramic heat emitter) play a part too? At nights my room can get below 65F so I tend to turn on the CHE a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom