Research- How to set up storage for Feeders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

My son and I are looking forward to becoming beardie owners, but as I prepare (before I buy) for its arrival, I’m trying to figure out how to setup storage for the feeders. Does it make sense to buy in small quantities more often so we don’t have to make a special large space for the insects? Is that too expensive? How do I decide on a location in the home to keep the feeders (no other pets to be concerned about, but we don’t necessarily want them out in the open as we do host friends over often)? Is it correct that I should purchase chicken feed (meal?) to gut load the critters (crickets, super worms, horned worms)?

Also, how in the world do you get crickets out of a storage bin without some escaping into your home?!

If you have pictures of your own set up of feeders PLEASE post for me to see!

My sincerest thanks for all your insight and pics!
Shannon ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your best bug for feeders is dubia roaches - they are from what I understand spendy to get started - you haft to have male and female-- temps haft to be right ect----------- have you checked out the feeder board? I never considered starting a colony I just kept buying them and I was glad I did Hiccup hasnt been eating nearly half of what he was here about the last 3 months-- I havent ordered dubias for quite some time -- he is eating maybe 3 / week now and mainly eating vegies which is what is to be expected now that he is over a year-- I keep offering them to him but he seems not interested -- of course that may change cuz we are in a horrible cold spell -- and so much snow--- he has been doing a lot of lounging and being lazy--- last 2 days he finally has come out and basked and sat under his UVB -- I had ordered alot like 400 of dubias last summer kept them in a tote w/ a screen over the top and left them in the garage --- they were fine in there -- but Hiccup was eating like 10 / day -- crickets would be really stinky and they dont last long-- dubias seemed to last longer--- check out the feeder board and see if you can get some ideas there
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad you are doing research beforehand. It will make a big difference! I have a colony of dubia roaches. I've found them to be MUCH easier to care for than crickets. They are silent and much less smelly. I keep them in a 20g tank with a mesh top and they live in cardboard tubes stacked on eachother. You can also use a rubbermaid bin. I have one of these as well. I cut the top out and replaced it with soft screen mesh. I used gaffer tape to secure it to the top and it works well. I keep the colony in the basement but it gets cold there so I keep a heat projector lamp over the tank for them (infrared heat, no visible light). If you keep the tank in a warmer part of the house this may not be necessary. They eat vegetable scraps and occasional fruit or bread. They LOVE squash and oranges in particular but are pretty good about composting most of what I put in the tank for them. I recommend setting up a colony a few months in advance so it can support a huge appetite of a small but growing dragon. I order silk worms and hornworms and black soldier fly larvae to supplement the staple feeder of roaches sometimes as well. Here is more info on dubia roaches https://www.southtexasdragons.com/dubia-roaches.html

This is my plastic bin
76248-4958329354.jpg

This is my main colony
76248-4768611197.jpg

Please let us know if you have any other questions, we're happy to help.

MomNSonBeardieTeam

Original Poster
Thank you both for your info! I had not come across the feeder section of the forum though I had been looking. I finally discovered it, thx for letting me know!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I just wanted to add that I have been breeding crickets & superworms for years. We use organic,
non gmo chicken laying mash for substrate & feed & it works very well.
Good luck on deciding which feeder insects you want to go with. There is some work involved,
but definitely worth raising your own as they are usually healthier.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom