Preventing Roach Allergy

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Crickets are so expensive and so hard to breed. I want to start a roach colony but heard that there are some really bad health issues associated with them. I live in an apartment and my colony would have to stay in my room. So how can I avoid developing an allergy to them?? And can they infest?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Not everyone is allergic to them. I haven't had any issues but my colony is in the basement which may make a difference. I'd probably keep a cleaner crew in there to keep the waste under control which may help too. I just added some superworms to the bottom and they seem to do pretty well. Dermestid beetles of various kinds are popular too. I haven't had any infestation issues but that's not to say it couldn't happen. I keep mine in a 20g long tank with a mesh lid and they can't climb the sides and haven't escaped in the few years I've had them.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Cleanness of the keepers and breeding tanks is the key to this - ordinarily it's the fras and moldering fras and dead insects and food (spores that become airborn when the keeper is disturbed) that contribute to allergic responses (usually some kind of respiratory response).

Cooper is on the money if you don't want to be regularly cleaning the keeper and having to have at least 2 spare keepers set up to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom