Dubia Roach Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

xAnaBooo

Hatchling Member
Hello :)
I only have a 6 month beardie, not several, and my bsfl are getting too small for him, so I was thinking of switching to dubias.

They are a little more expensive but potentially less work, and I don't think I should start a colony because that would take a while, and plus he would gobble it up as well.

How do I care for them only to feed, and not to breed? What kind of containers?
- I have MANY left over small tubs from all my bsfl shipments, could I organize them into these for feedings?
- I also have 2 shallow clear tubs that came with lids, I wouldn't be able to fit any egg flats or anything in there, would something like this work too or?

I assume I need to gutload them, some people say potatoes, some say fresh veggies, what are your suggestions?

Any other things I would need? Do I need heating if I'm not breeding them?

Sorry for all the questions, but there's not much information on keeping them, and more so on breeding. :) Thank you

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A tote bin or old tank will work. Just need to cut the top out and put in a piece of screen so there is plenty of ventilation. (or use a screen top for a tank). I use cardboard tubes for their housing and I feed them all sorts of veg scraps. They love squash and orange slices but will eat most any of the veg scraps from leftover dragon salads or from the kitchen. They're pretty easy other than that. Just give them housing and food and they'll do their thing, colony or not.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Just offer fresh veges and they'll get what they need. Squash in particular provides lots of water.

This is exactly the info I was looking for...
I think I've finally talked my wife into getting these.

So I need to get a plastic bin and cut the lid. Do you just get the screen from a home depot type store?

I also only want to get for food, not to breed. Where is a good place to purchase and how many should I purchase to get started?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes get a big rubbermaid bin and cut the top open. Use the screen that comes in a roll, to repair/replace a screen door. Then just hot glue/tape/etc it to the top. This is what mine looks like.
76248-4958329354.jpg

Breeding them and using them for food is the same care. There are several places to order them online. I'd order a few hundred at a time. I got my colony started with an order from ABDragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom