Infected feeders? question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Hi guys, I been having a panic attack over feeding.

So, to my knowledge if a feeder were to pass coccidia it would have had to munch on infected dragons stool, correct?

Every feeder she didn't eat got thrown out.
So I see no route of infection.

Can anyone clear this up for me?
I buy feeders in deli cups and feed them off.

Thanks

Taylor

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
A coccidia infection does not have to come from the feeders at all. As coccidia are protozoa that are often seen in low numbers in healthy reptiles.

Sometimes a coccidia infection can happen under any type of stress for the dragon, which takes a toll on the immune system. When this happens the coccidia that normally do not effect the reptile in small numbers, grow into large numbers which then in turn make the dragon ill. When the dragons immune system cannot keep up with he growth, this can in turn cause the infection.

Taking out the feeders and not recycling them is a good practice, as any feeder that has come in contact with poop could possibly transmit coddicia to the dragon, but the dragon can also handle the parasites from getting out of control provided their immune systems are in top form.

I always feed my bugs one at a time, in a clean viv. I never let bugs run around the viv all day, and so I can control what bugs are being fed.

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Okay thanks.
I'm just overly concerned over a recent coccidia infection my girl had.

I hand feed my bugs
Tossed the ones she didn't eat out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom