Male dubia die-off

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjs5134

I have had dubias for over a year, a starter colony from a common supplier and a booming culture from a fellow hobbyist. For the past 6 months or so the adult male population has steadily decreased to the point that I now have none. It also appears that the sub-adults that are maturing are all females.

I have 3 different cultures, 1 kept in the upper 70's to low 80's, another closer to 90 and the 3rd is variable but mid 80's to low 90's. They are fed primarily oranges, carrots, butternut squash, etc. and sometimes goldfish flake food. Obviously with so few males, production has slowed to nearly nothing.

For some reason the following thread was locked:
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=226584

I would love to know if a cause, or solution was found.

Thanks

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
I am pretty sure that all the hatchlings are not likely to be female. Male and female dubia nymphs look very similar. The only real difference is that the females will be a little wider rand flatter than the males.

I have often had more male die off and very little if ever, female die off. This is due to several factors. If there are too many males in the colony, there will be definite male fighting. Males also have a shorter life span (around 16 month) than the females (live a few months more). So you will tend to see more male carcasses about.

I keep all my dubia colony in one bin, about 3 feet long by 1 wide. My colony has times of almost no production to exploding production, but I have never lost enough of a colony to be concerned. It always bounces back and I find most times that I have far too many. I do not heat my roaches at all, and I live in Canada. My roaches are in the closet of my lizard room. The lizard room is slightly heated to about 20 C or 68 F. The live on vertical egg crates, and there is plenty of top side ventilation.

I have had my dubia for almost 7 years, but I remember it was about 2 solid years before I had enough roaches to never worry about running out.

rjs5134

Original Poster
"I am pretty sure that all the hatchlings are not likely to be female. Male and female dubia nymphs look very similar. The only real difference is that the females will be a little wider rand flatter than the males."

Sorry, didn't mean to imply they were only giving birth to females. I believe whatever is causing the adult males to die off is also causing the juvenile males to die off thereby leaving me with just female roaches. Again, whatever the cause, I now have zero males. I have hundreds of females, some were adults when I received them, some are 2nd and 3rd generation that I raised from nymphs, but ALL are female. I do not have 1 male left in any of my 3 colonies.

I have ordered replacement males and plan to breakdown the 3 colonies this weekend and start with 2 fresh colonies. One I will keep warm, the other room temp(low 70's), and see how they do.

Thanks for contributing your experience.

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
Ok....well then that is very weird. I am sorry I have no idea what could be happening in that case. Very....very odd. Good luck with the new males.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom