Breeding Dubias for One Beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie, Peach, is about four months old. A couple of weeks ago I posted that she was barely eating. Now I’m having the opposite problem. She is devouring everything in sight, to the point that I’m concerned about continuing to buy crickets, since it’s expensive and a fraction of them die every time anyways.

I’ve heard that breeding dubia roaches is the most cost efficient way to keep my lizard fed, but I have a couple of questions:

1) Right now she would only be able to eat the nymphs, right? How efficient would keeping a colony be if only the babies are being used as feeders?

2) Even once she’s grown, would one beardie be able to eat enough of them to keep the colony from getting out of control?

Also, does anyone have any alternative ideas?

Thanks!

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
For sure with one beardie....a colony will get huge...but I will not tell you not to start one as they are excellent feeders. However....it took me almost 2 years before I could feed my two dragons (at the time) freely. So...by the time your colony is big enough to start feeling them off. Your dragon may be much larger and older.

However....maybe....you may want another dragon? Ha ha!. Or not....or if you are in the USA...you could sell the extra...or like I did...give them away to a reptile rescue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom