Starter Dubia Colony: How many to start for feeding a BD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fubardad

Im trying to find a way to save a little money in regards to the feeding and Im just looking at the "juice vs squeeze" theory of a home Dubia colony. Im reading it may take up to 10-20 Dubia Roaches (DR) a day for a proper feeding? While Im seeing an average price of $40-60 for a count of 500, (averaging .083-.125 cents per roach) which is a couple weeks worth? That sounds pretty expensive if you feed 2x daily. My local store costs are .19 cents a roach so thats even crazier at $95 for 500.

Im not really sure what is best for how many female vs male DRs needed to start a proper colony but Ill guess by saying 16 females and 4 males? Or there are packages that start around $100.

My question is if this is practical to have a small colony in the garage to feed your BD? Also, what have others done to start their DR colonies. Plainly just asking for more expert examples/advice.

Scion19801

Hatchling Member
Have you read this article yet?
https://www.southtexasdragons.com/dubia-roaches.html
I started my colony of just adults mainly with a few assorted sizes. 50 dubia in all and that was 3 months ago. I have only fed a few to my beardies. Colony no where near big enough yet, and I have a mess of babies. So colonies take time to get going. Probably be another 3+ months before I can feed from it and be self-sustaining. So the more you can get initially the better.

fubardad

Original Poster
Scion19801":1zaliokx said:
Have you read this article yet?
https://www.southtexasdragons.com/dubia-roaches.html
I started my colony of just adults mainly with a few assorted sizes. 50 dubia in all and that was 3 months ago. I have only fed a few to my beardies. Colony no where near big enough yet, and I have a mess of babies. So colonies take time to get going. Probably be another 3+ months before I can feed from it and be self-sustaining. So the more you can get initially the better.
I actually read that article and that is what prompted the question. Ive been reading a few more articles about it but the one you linked is what I initially read.

Did you purchase from that site or another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom