breeding crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, i started with 50 crickets about two weeks ago, i realized most of them were males so i went and picked up 10 more females. i have a heat mat that makes the plastic tub stay in the 80’s (in a 65 degree basement) i feed them veggies (leftover stems from my dragon) and then i provide fish flakes and dog food. i use a moist papertowel for water that i wet every morning. i even wipe down their cage everyday to stay clean. none of them were adults yet but they were considered large. i watched them grow wings and mature so i put out some soil for them, unfortunatley later realizing there were little wiggly white bugs in the soil. i decided if there were eggs they were probably eaten so i dumped the soil and bought new organic soil. that has been sitting out and been kept moist for a little over a week. by the time i got the new soil out half the crickets were dead, i lose 5 or so day. whenever i see a female in my dragons small crickets i throw it in the tub and it still hasnt been enough to keep the population. i am now down to 1 mature female, 3 not mature females and 3 not mature males. since they probably arent laying eggs anymore i covered the soil mostly and put it in the hottest spot of the tub, when i looked in it i didnt notice any eggs. how long should i wait before throwing this all away and trying dubia roaches instead? i have some on the way (21 ready to breed females, 7 ready to breed males and 200 extra small nymphs) and i was going to make them a new tub with a different heat mat but if i can just use the cricket tub id rather do that. i cant breed them if im going to lose 60 crickets every two weeks, thats ridiculous. does anyone see a flaw in my setup. maybe its me and not the crickets, ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom