Feeding feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently started breeding my own superworms. They’re currently in powdered oats and I’ve been feeding them carrots. After a stupid amount of research I found that the best food to feed them for my lizards health is soybeans, chia seeds, brussel sprouts, and carrots. According to a couple sites soybeans are too acidic and have a bad calcium to phosphorus ratio. I wanted to know if these bad qualities would carry over through the worms digestive systems and harm my lizard. Would anyone here know?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I tend to keep supers to an occasional treat but when I've kept them I just put them in a bin of oats and put carrot and greens/stems on the top as you're doing now. They've seemed to do pretty well on that but I didn't look further into the optimal setup for them. I maintain a roach colony as the primary live feeder source and just feed them a variety of veg scraps.

NikkiandDucky

Original Poster
I don’t feed them too often, but I’ve read that when cared for in the right way they can be used more. Do you know if you can feed your roaches things your lizard can’t eat? They do fine when fed oats and carrots, but they’re a lot healthier when fed a balanced diet.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I feed roaches mostly things my dragon will eat. A lot of leftover squash and greens and kitchen scraps. Sometimes they'll get some bread slices and some orange slices or banana which they love.

NikkiandDucky

Original Poster
Do the orange slices or bread affect your dragon when they eat the bugs? They both have moderate Oxalates which is the problem with soybeans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom