Can dubia roaches eat cricket food?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been feeding my new juvenile beardie crickets as a primary staple (supplemented with mealworms, collard, mustard, and turnip greens, plus some yellow squash)... but it is a pain to keep driving down to get the crickets (40 minutes each way to get to the nearest pet store), and they die so easily (and, at 16 cents each at Petco for medium-sized ones, they aren't exactly a great deal, either!)

I considered ordering crickets in bulk, or even trying to farm them...
but it looks like trying to raise dubia roaches might be more ideal. (also, I plan to ditch mealworms altogether...)

Anyway, I have the Fluker's orange cube food which does seem to work for crickets (keeps them alive and hydrated. The one time I tried to actually give the crickets water by putting a little onto the sponge in their enclosure, the little bit of runoff appeared to have immediately drowned 6 crix :shock: )

Can roaches eat the Fluker's orange cube cricket food? (If not, I will be sure to research the other ways to feed and hydrate them)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Yes the roaches will be happy eating the same food crickets eat.

In both cases
> no gels
> no water cubes

Rubbish fed to your feeder insects produces rubbish quality feeder insects (who are perhaps slowly poisoning your pet lizard).
Stick with veg and greens (and maybe dry adult beardie pellets) for the food for the insects.
Stick with chunks of carrot to hydrate the insects.

karmakollector

Original Poster
Good response... I got the orange cubes because they were 50% off with a coupon I had (and I am brand new to keeping dragons, so figured, since I was getting crix... why not?)

But when I looked at the ingredients and thought about gut-loading, I thought: "are these really things a beardie should be ingesting? Carageenan? And citric acid? I thought citric acid wasn't good for them..."

I get plenty of chopped greens (collard/mustard/turnip)... maybe I can move the leftovers/wilty ones into the insect enclosure. Can get carrots, too (are carrots good for beardies?)

But now I am reading about how dubias (and roaches in general) can be bad for allergies... (especially concerning because my bearded dragon is in a classroom with little kids, and I was going to keep the feeder cage in there, as well... but maybe I can just keep them at home and bring small tubs or bags in each day for feeding)

Hmmm... there just doesn't seem like a perfect feeder out there! :? (I'm using the crix right now, but they die so easily, and then I have to clean out the dead ones, and they are only going to cost more money as my beardie grows, at least until he is old enough to switch over to a primarily-veg diet)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Feed them carrots apples etc............I feed them carrots and it is cheap!!

Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
karmakollector":15j8b69c said:
Good response... I got the orange cubes because they were 50% off with a coupon I had (and I am brand new to keeping dragons, so figured, since I was getting crix... why not?)

But when I looked at the ingredients and thought about gut-loading, I thought: "are these really things a beardie should be ingesting? Carageenan? And citric acid? I thought citric acid wasn't good for them..."

I get plenty of chopped greens (collard/mustard/turnip)... maybe I can move the leftovers/wilty ones into the insect enclosure.
<<< so long as the greens are still moist, the crickets or roaches will eat them. Dry they wont touch.
Can get carrots, too (are carrots good for beardies?)
<<<< yes …. be sure to use a grater to preprocess the carrot , giving chunks or hard root veg is asking for trouble (impaction).
<<<< sweet potato (grated) is good too.

But now I am reading about how dubias (and roaches in general) can be bad for allergies...
<<< their fras (poo) can be dusty …. so it pays to routinely remove the fras that accumulates in the insect keeper tub.
(especially concerning because my bearded dragon is in a classroom with little kids, and I was going to keep the feeder cage in there, as well... but maybe I can just keep them at home and bring small tubs or bags in each day for feeding)

Hmmm... there just doesn't seem like a perfect feeder out there! :? (I'm using the crix right now, but they die so easily, and then I have to clean out the dead ones,
<<<< I remove any dead or sick crickets each day (these go outside to the wild lizards, frogs, geckos and bird ,and the ants finish off any they leave.
<<<< don't overcrowd the cricket keeper (I find it a good practice to keep maybe 100 crickets in a ventilated (commercial live bug) tub (about 700cc) and I feed them dry repcal adult beardie pellets + carrot chunks), so my regular bulk order of 1000 medium crickets goes into 10 - 11 tubs , and these onto 30L plastic archive box.
Good feeders other crickets are locusts, roaches and silkworms (really good !!! … but time consuming caring for them).

and they are only going to cost more money as my beardie grows, at least until he is old enough to switch over to a primarily-veg diet)
Science based adult bearded dragon diet and feeding schedule is outlined here : viewtopic.php?f=18&t=236074
…. this is what you are moving to ideally when he's about 2 years old.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
KarrieRee":3kuxdkml said:
Feed them carrots apples etc............I feed them carrots and it is cheap!!

Karrie

Trouble with using potato and or apple is the slices tend to start formenting in a few days (especially in warm humid weather) , not good for the bugs who are eating them when this happens …. drunk bugs might be easy to catch , but are not good to give to a pet lizard as feeders.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
There was so many of them the apples didnt last long enough to ferment- and now it has turned cold here they wouldnt any way- needless to say I only fed them apples once - their main diet has been carrots- apples are more expensive here and carrots are cheap- so w/ that in mind I will just keep feeding them carrots--

Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom