Dubia Roaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cari

I have a small tote full of Dubia roaches that I purchased to try since my beardie will no longer eat crickets. Anyway, he doesn't like those either. Is there anyone here that would like them? There is a successful breeding pair in the bunch, females and babies. I will give you the food as well since I really have no use for it. I would rather give them to someone here that needs them, then to a local pet store. Seems like my little guy is only interested in worms--silkworms, hornworms, super-worms, waxworms.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a kind offer. Where are you located? The roaches can thrive for quite a long time and like eating veg scraps (especially squash, bread scraps, greens, and occasional orange or banana). It's kind of nice to have them composting a bit even if they aren't being eaten. You may be able to just keep them in the bin and let them do their thing. Try offering them as feeders again down the road and see if you have better luck.

Cari

Original Poster
Hi! I'm in Jackson, Mi. What if they breed more? I'm afraid it might get too crowded if that were to happen. I took them off the heater, hopefully that will help stop it. They are also kind of creepy. If I do reintroduce them, do you have any suggestions on the best way to do it? What's the best way to pick them up without squishing them or losing them mid transit? Eek! I have an empty glass 10 gallon tank that he used to eat crickets in but he really doesn't like eating in there. Usually spends his time glaring and flaring at his reflection. Maybe he is complacent? Worms don't move as fast

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Lowering the temps a bit will slow their breeding. Overcrowding can be a problem but it usually takes a while for them to get to that point. I have cardboard tubes from the inside of paper towel rolls for them to live in. When I need some I just shake the roll to let them out either directly into a small cup with calcium powder or if I'm looking for specific sizes I just pick them out by hand and put them in the cup. When I offer them, I let them out of the cup one at a time and let my dragon chase them across the floor. One at a time is easy for both of us to track.

Cari

Original Poster
Ok, that's good to know. By hand!? Eww, I didn't even touch the crickets when he ate those! I would usually shake the egg carton into a feeder box and transfer them to his food tote. Worms don't creep me out as much. :) I'm not sure if the roaches would climb the sides of his food tote. What do you mean, "chase them across the floor?" of your house? Does he get them all?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I got used to handling them after a bit. I just see them as big roly poly bugs. I understand that's not for everyone though. Yeah I just place one on the vinyl floor and let my dragon chase it down and then repeat until he loses interest. Since I only have one out of the cup at a time, they are easy to track and don't get away.

Cari

Original Poster
He's eating!! And he finally had a successful poo!! I put him in a bigger container to begin with and slowly introduced the tiny roaches. It took him about 5 minutes to notice them but once he did, they were gone! Gobbled them up like crazy. :) I added more and accidently added one of the full size females to the bucket. Before I could say, "wait, don't eat that one!" it was gone. Now, he won't eat the little ones. Lol! I'm worried about the whole "space between their eyes" rule, does that apply for roaches? He chews them really well, even moves his jaw from side to side (that's the first I've seen) which is really cool! Sorry, I'm just really excited that he's ok. I have to increase my stock before he eats all of them! How many should he eat a day?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The amount he eats will vary but they can go through quite a lot at times when they are growing. If he is chewing them well I don't think there is much to worry about in terms of their size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom