BSFL packed in crushed walnut shells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I received an order of BSFL from Symton's recently and found that they have changed the substrate packing. It used to be a kind of damp soil. Now it appears they are using crushed walnut shells. While this makes it easier to remove the substrate from the worms, do be very careful to remove all of the crushed walnut from the worm before feeding it. Crushed walnut has been reported to cause impaction and internal injuries from those who have used it as substrate for their tanks. Just be conscientious about cleaning the worms before feeding them to your dragons. I've been able to do this pretty easily by just brushing each worm off with my fingers. The label suggest rinsing them in water which will work too but will make them stickier and allow them to climb if not dried off.

Rschasch

Hey CooperDragon, thanks for the heads up!

I have been ordering my bsfl from Symton as well, and have had success separating the substrate using a wire strainer from Walmart. The holes are big enough to let the substrate pass through, but not the worms!

I've got an off topic, question for you. I just noticed that the 2 containers of bsfl i have in my wine cooler, (set to 50 deg), have mold starting to grow inside the containers... They have only been in the cooler for 2 weeks, I ordered 2,000 bsfl hoping that it would last me a month. My first question would be is if i washed off the worms in warm water, and separated them from the moldy substrate would they still be safe to feed to my dragon? And secondly, would be are there any tricks of tips to prevent this in the first place!!!! Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated!!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Washing them and giving them new substrate should be fine. I haven't had an issue with mold before. I tend to leave mine at room temp because the flies make good snacks too. I'm surprised there is enough humidity in a wine cooler to allow mold buildup. My best guess is to use fresh substrate, increase ventilation and try to keep humidity levels down if you can.

Peach

Hatchling Member
My previous orders has completely dry substrate but the last one it was damp.The previous ones were medium though and the last large, so I don't know if that makes a difference. I keep mine in a cooler with a couple of reusable icepacks. I haven't had any mold so far. What substrate is good if it has to be replaced?

Peach

Hatchling Member
My new order came in and the substrate has changed. This is a little damp, but sticks hard to the worms. It also no has a noticeable dirt/musty odor that they've never had before. I emailed Sympton but no reply back.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
That sounds like what they used to ship them in. I haven't run into problems with the walnut so far. I just make sure to brush the worms off thoroughly (which is easier because it's a bit drier). Recently they've been hatching to flies so I've just been feeding the flies off and they are substrate free on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom