Superworms rising to top

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know why my superworms would all rise to the top of the substrate. I have them stored in a container with no lid. The substrate is oatmeal. The temp in the house is between 75 and 80 degrees. The last time this happened the worms were dead within two days. I lost 1000 worms last time. This time i bought 500 and its from a different company. The container in the pic contains about 60 superworms. Please help.
100736-5428361287.jpg
100736-9077372639.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Mine do that too.... you will notice their fras is concentrated at the bottom the container , I think they come up for air .

I replace the bedding every month of so.

In the meantime I simply mix the bedding and worms every week or so and keep adding bits of carrot and dead insects (my supers love dead crickets and dead silkworm lavae and moths).

Summerrayne23

Original Poster
Thanks king. So them rising to the top doesnt mean they will die? Im new to this if you cantvtell. Last week i ordered 100 supers. For two mornings they rose to top then 3rd morning about 80 percent werent moving. I didnt know what happened to them. It was a similar container but they were in that sawdust like stuff and had a lid with holes. This time they are on oats with no lid. I just dont want a big die off again and dont know what caused the first one.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Summerrayne23":25ii3k2v said:
Thanks king. So them rising to the top doesnt mean they will die? Im new to this if you cantvtell. Last week i ordered 100 supers. For two mornings they rose to top then 3rd morning about 80 percent werent moving. I didnt know what happened to them. It was a similar container but they were in that sawdust like stuff and had a lid with holes. This time they are on oats with no lid. I just dont want a big die off again and dont know what caused the first one.

They go dormant for a little while before shedding and before they transform to a pupa they curl up and stay still.
The pupae are a great snack for a dragon …. all my BTs and beardies love Superworm and Mealworm pupae as snacks, and my water skink picks the pupae out to eat first she likes them so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom